quick poll - american cars

Would you buy a a car from an American car maker right now.
Starting with me - no

Yes, at the right price.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
jimz wrote:

Yup. Without hesitation. But, I only put about 2000 miles a year on 4 wheels. So I have no use for a new car at the moment.
jimz wrote:

From a guy who bleeds Ford blue, I refuse to buy anything but. :)
--
Black Dragon

A lady from Old Little Rock

----------- What's an "American" car?
A large number of "American" vehicles are now assembled in other countries and then shipped here for sale under an "American" brand.
Many of the ones that are assembled here have over 1/2 half of their high value high-tech components imported, e.g. engines, transmissions, electronics, and many of the components manufactured here are made on high value imported tooling such as fender/body dies.
In point of fact, there are no more "American" car companies. Both GM and Ford make earn more profit overseas than domestically. Chrysler is more or less limited to the NA market, but is one of the most prolific "outsourcers" of parts and services on a percentage basis.
Painting a car red, white and blue does *NOT* make it American.
F George McDuffee wrote:

Cars made by American companies regardless of where (geographically) they are built.
--
Black Dragon

I dote on his very absence.
On Thu, 7 May 2009 15:14:51 +0000 (UTC), Black Dragon

=====FYI ------ Under Restructuring, GM To Build More Cars Overseas By Peter Whoriskey Washington Post Staff Writer Friday, May 8, 2009
The U.S. government is pouring billions into General Motors in hopes of reviving the domestic economy, but when the automaker completes its restructuring plan, many of the company's new jobs will be filled by workers overseas. <snip> According to an outline the company has been sharing privately with Washington legislators, the number of cars that GM sells in the United States and builds in Mexico, China and South Korea will roughly double. <snip> "It's an almost impossible dilemma," said former labor secretary Robert B. Reich, now a professor at the University of California-Berkeley. "GM is a global company -- so for that matter is AIG and the biggest Wall Street banks. That means that bailing them out doesn't necessarily redound to the benefit of the U.S. or American workers. {comment: then why do it with their taxes?} <snip> "The bottom line is GM would rather pay $2 an hour -- and it's a slippery slope downward," said Alan Reuther, the UAW's legislative director. "If GM is going to be getting government assistance, they ought to be maintaining their manufacturing footprint in the U.S. rather than going off to China, Mexico and South Korea."
Labor costs in those countries are far lower. While paying a U.S. autoworker with benefits costs about $54 an hour, a South Korean worker earns about $22 an hour, a Mexican worker earns less than $10 an hour and some Chinese workers can earn as little as $3 an hour, industry sources said. {comment: and the South Korean, Mexican, and Chinese workers pay 0$ US taxes, and the profits from these operations are not taxed until these "remitted" back to the US which is never. See "transfer pricing"} <snip> The U.S. government has loaned GM $15.4 billion. But billions more are expected to be invested, and under the current plan, it will be the majority owner of the company. {comment" when I have a gun in my ribs it ain't investing, its robbery or extortion.} <snip> "If you are shutting down plants in this country, U.S. tax dollars should not go for building plants in other countries," said Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), who was among those who met with Henderson.
But company officials and industry analysts have long argued that, even putting aside the issue of labor costs, it makes logistical sense to build some cars in other countries, even if they are destined for sale in the United States. <snip> ------ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/07/AR2009050704336.html
jimz wrote:

nope.. honda's last a helluva lot longer than ford, chevy, dodge, etc..
I have a 98 honda with over 207k miles, its falling apart but the engine and tranny are still running like champs.. and still getting over 30mpg.. cant beat that for a work car.. 40 miles a day adds up.. heh
tnik wrote:

I had a '92 Explorer that never had the drivetrain touched in 195,000. I replaced a sloppy steering box, and a pair of locking hubs. That was All I did besides regular oil changes and such(5K on Synthetic oil in the engines, and 25-30K on tranny fluid changes), and about 75K on axles and transfer case.

I have seen 3 Honda's with a rod threw the side of the block in the last 2 years. One belonged to my brother in law. He's 50 years old and not the hot rodder type.
Richard W.
On Sat, 9 May 2009 12:26:55 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@netpath.net"

Well, now you know gummer, who supports your plan for revolution, hasn't paid any property taxes at all for about a decade, and has managed to dodge various tax liens going back *25 years* http://tinyurl.com/d7hkkp . His oldest property tax lien is from '92, when the bill was a crippling 200! bucks a year. But wait, it gets *worse*! Now his annual property tax is up to almost *400* bucks! I know, it's hard to imagine how any government could be so burdensome! After (not) paying those exorbitant taxes, it's no wonder that gummy is ready to revolt, angry and ungrateful for the measly nearing-a-million in handouts his fandamily has received so far. And darned if you weren't exactly right about his yearly tax bills outpacing his income. Keep up the good work!
BTW, when you start your revolution, shouldn't the first order of business be to take out the leeches? Don't tell me, you're here undercover doing advance reconnaissance? Don't forget, gummy's a tricky devil, he might try the ol' 327 Olive thing to fool you. Guess I don't need to explain to a smart fella' like you though, eh?
Wayne

Just amazing the people you will do business with. Tom Brewer, this loser.... what's next a CADCAM system supported by John Carroll?
Clues... theyre everywhere.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
On Sat, 9 May 2009 16:22:17 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Odd..Id say the same thing to people who (apparently) deal with you.
Shrug...you take the good with the bad. Most folks are good. Some just need a bit of prodding.
Tom and John Carroll are excellent individuals btw. Both know their shit and are very reliable and reputable.
Shrug. Neither of them have much tolerence. Shrug again.
Gunner

Wrong, yet again.
There is a reason you struggle so hard to survive.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
On Sat, 9 May 2009 18:55:54 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

The Opinion of Jon Banquer is noted with amused interest.

It's not an opinion. It's FACT.
Tom Brewer's a proven liar many times over and so is John Carroll.
In addition, John Carroll has the worst record of anyone I know of in the CADCAM business. No CADCAM company would touch John Carroll with a ten-foot pole. John Carroll failed with Vero Software, with Missler / Top Solid and with Mecsoft / Visual Mill. No one in these companies that I have talked with has any respect at all for a liar like John Carroll. Keep in mind, Mark that John Carroll has admitted that he tried to hire me and I've said I turned him down cold. I never gave it more than a seconds thought. Do you think I'd have been better off working for a loser like John Carroll or who I work for now. ;>)
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
On Sat, 9 May 2009 21:41:01 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Funny Jon, I have asked you numerous times over the years to post just ONE example and you have yet to post one instance that supports your accusation.
Let me try again;
Jon,
Please post one example supports your accusation.
Tom
On Sat, 9 May 2009 21:41:01 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Oddly enough..I consider Mr Carroll to be a fine person, a very nice man to work for and has been more than fair and timely with any billing Ive generated and presented to him.
I dont know who you work for, nor do I care. Ive read your posts for a number of years now..and find you to be a...nicely...Flake.
Sorry..shrug
Gunner

Nothing to be sorry about even though you seem to think there is.
I most likely care as much about what you think of me as you care about what I think about you.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Being a proven pathological liar, and extreme social misfit, you fit right in over there Jon:
"Qualcomm will pay Broadcom $891 million over the next four years"
"A number of the biggest names in the mobile industry have lodged a complaint with the European Commission accusing Qualcomm of anti- competitive behaviour."