Stationary engine fan.

Gents, as you know i'm a big fan of the stationary engine, but i also have an interest in old landrovers. i'm currently restoring a rather rough 1959 series 2 that i'm sure at some point will be transporting engines to the more shall we say local rallys just for fun:-). now you can imagine my suprise when reading an article by Frank Elson in Landrover monthly i found a reference to my other hobby.

The article reads.

One day i opened my post and found inside an envelope two complimentery tickets to the ribble valley vintage club annual rally. Unfortunately, i have no idea who sent them. On the day the beloved Marjory had to work (well sleep she worked the nite before and after) so i went along by myself. as one might expect there were lots of old classic cars, some of which are mildly interesting; trucks and buses, some of which are interesting; tractors, most of which are very interesting; a handfull of Land Rovers, all of which are very interesting. I have always been fastinated by Briggs an stratton and lister engines that pump water, or generate enough electricity to run a spot light. They are usually cleaned up, with gleaming paint an shiny copper and brass- and almost allways accompanied by a spec sheet that says they were found in a scrapyard. Which blinking scrapyard? I've looked for years and never found one. Fred didner offered me a steam engine once, but i had to turn it down through lack of space. I did help him to take it to the guy who finally had it, Which was a bit like adding insult to injury and i've regretted it ever since. So what is it about stationary engines?Bill jones had an old diesel generator once, which used to power his garage electricity. I was fascinated by it sitting there roaring away all day. I cant stand and watch an old hit and miss engine for hours. Actually i think i know what it is i like about them. They are dead simple.... just like me.

Just thought it would be of interest. Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

I'm in the process of restoring a 1972 Series III, or to be precise completing the restoration that the previous owner had begun. It's not as historic as your Series II but I thought it a good idea to start out with an easier task and move up to something more challenging later. I friend has just bought a late fifties Series II but seems to have taken on a bit more than he expected 8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg

I can understand any fan of stationary engines being a Land Rover fanatic. They both have a utilitarian "use me for ever" aspect to their construction.

That said, I fail utterly to understand why anyone would want to actually use one for day-to-day transport who does not live twoandahalf miles up a muddy track! In my Other Hobby, there are a number of avid LR enthusiasts, most of whom have no second vehicle & use their Transport of Delight for work and travel 200 miles to events in them at 60mph. One even has an elderly Mk 1 that the missus has taken over, probably in self defence. The kids, BTW, walk to school out of preference ;o))

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

In article , Kim Siddorn writes

My old landie all to often was a stationary engine :-( (was it built on a Friday afternoon I wonder).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Old Landrovers do seem pretty much in keeping with the stationery engine theme. I'm hoping to have my first one delivered in the next few days. It's a 1958 2 litre diesel in need of a lot of work.

Haven't even seen it yet so understandibly I'm somewhat nervous.

Hope to have it ready to get me to Astle Park next year though.

Alan

Reply to
Algernon

Because it's more fun than a car? :-D

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I suspect I'm never going to "get it" as far as Landies are concerned. I like to make Reasonable Progress & carry lots of stuff, so drive a Volvo 760 or 960. At least I can hear the radio above the tyre howl ;o))

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I beg to differ.

1960 Mini with 100+BHP on a Welsh road rally = real fun. 1960 TR3 on the limit at Goodwood = fun with every chance of reaching terror levels. 2000 Impreza Turbo has BIG grin factor. And at the slower end of the scale, 1936 Morgan 3 wheeler = fun at 45mph.

However, each unto their own. I also have fun on my 1959 Fergie 20 tractor but perhaps were now getting close to Landrover levels of performance. Great fun for a while but not my choice for a longer run.

John

Reply to
John

Vauxhall Vivaro with 100+bhp on a welsh road loaded to the Gunnels with heavy metal bits is even better than a mini.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Mini's are probably the only vehicle less comfortable than a land rover. and 100bhp in a mini is just plain crazy.

Why? If you want speed there are much better cars. If you want terror there are much cheaper/easier ways to get it.

Drove one for a week a month or so back. Very unimpressed. Fast, yes, but quick? no. Needs too much sustained concentration to make the most of it.

A few (quite a lot really) I had a Lancia Beta 2000 coupe. First car to make group 8 insurance when 7 was the previous highest. Took me nearly 7 hours to get from Anglesey to the midlands and the stress nearly killed me. That was when I realized that power and speed don't make a car quick. I lent it to a friend who wrote it off for me. I got a Volvo 244 auto to replace it, and got everywhere a lot quicker AND arrived relaxed.

Ahhhhhh....so you DO appreciate the qualites of land rovers :) They are fine for those of us who can't afford Morgans, and want to tow something too.

Reply to
Algernon

Having recovered a few points over the summer by making somewhat less than Reasonable Progress in my £125's worth of 2.3 single carb Volvo 740 estate, I'm in the process of getting my BMW 535iSE back on the road. It failed it's MOT today - headlamps need adjusting, some welding & a silencer - pretty good, I thought.

I've driven a fair number of quick devices in me time, but for gathering itself up & throwing us at the horizon in a calm, dignified & controlled fashion whilst rendering a decent level of quietetude within, I've not met its match. On give & take going on quiet A roads on a summer's morning at the crack of sparrowfaht, it quite raises the spirits, so it does.

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Yes, the Trafic/Vivaro series are certainly the best vans that I have had the pleasure to conduct over the years, and with 100,000+ miles on the clock now, ours still impresses.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

i've had a couple of old landys over the years and i love them. It could be that the first 5 years of my life were spent riding round with my dad in a series one and later on a series 3, so landroveritis was bound to happen. If we are looking for the grin factor a mk2 escort RS2000 with five linked rear suspension and a limited slip diff takes some beating, you have to like going sideways though :-), me and my mate built one a few years back and had a couple of years doing the nite rallys around shropshire and welsh border.

My other transport is a Suzuki GSXR 1000 150bhp and a dry weight of

176KGS, its an animal. Capable of 186mph and it does over 80mph in first, if you can keep the front wheel down. I often use it to fetch smaller parts for the series 2. They think its funny me standing there in tarmac scratched leathers asking for bits for the old landrover i'm restoring, one extreme to another has been mentioned more than once :-)

Regards, Gary M.

Reply to
gary millward

My most favourite steed was a mk1 3000 GXL Capri, it suffered axle tramp something chronic if the thing was pushed hard from a stop but none the less a good car, its fundamental flaw in the engine let go on the M6 and every valve left its mark on every piston. After an engine rebuild and the fibre timing gear replaced with a steel one I run it in and then coming home one morning down the A1 I decided to see what she would do, at an indicated 120 on the clock I backed off not because of the speed, I could actually see the fuel gauge moving. One day after owning it for three years my wife told me we were going to be parents and I decided it had to go because on my salary alone I could not afford to run it. My next car was a 1300 Austin Allegro which gave me seven years of total reliability and nearly 150000 miles.

Martin P