OT. Far east

Now the weather has turned - well the rain is colder than it was in summer anyway, we're thinking about next year's holiday. Planning to go east - probably as far as Suffolk - any hints on things to visit in the area which might interest the engineering type? Unfortunately I note that Sizewell no longer has a visitor centre, we were similarly dissapointed at Dungeness a couple of years ago.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:52:18 +0100, "Nick H" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

If it's still open, I'd recommend a visit to Fakenham Gas Works - a complete example of a coal gas works and of course there's' always Duxford and Thursford.

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

There is the Leiston Long shop, Ipswich transport museum, Poppy line in Norfolk and the biggest high light, my Garage as I live in east Anglia :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

BD> If it's still open, I'd recommend a visit to Fakenham Gas Works - a BD> complete example of a coal gas works and of course there's' always BD> Duxford and Thursford.

BD> Brian L Dominic

Visited Fakenham quite some time ago and remember Lister D and Bradford enclosed crank driving the exhausters. The Bradford had one of those Redex injection thingys fitted - probably suffered from sticking valves on its diet of town gas. Great little works though and well worth a second visit.

Duxford sounds like a good idea - never been there but do occasionally manage to dig up odd bearings for them. What?s at Thursford?

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

c> There is the Leiston Long shop, Ipswich transport museum, Poppy line in c> Norfolk and the biggest high light, my Garage as I live in east c> Anglia :-))

Thought you were Bedfordshire way - and anyway isn't your garage full of boring old Listers nowdays ;-)

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Talking of Coal gas works, takes me back 50 years to when I was an apprentice GPO telephone engineer & we were fitting flameproof telephones around Warrington gas works. When we came out all the copper coins in our pockets had a dark patina. One flameproof phone was in the pump room full of gas piston pumps with little bubbles of gas coming through the grease round the piston rods. It stunk of gas but the attendant was sat in his chair smoking his pipe. We were glad to escape alive. 8^)

Reply to
Croft

There is only Cambridgeshire between Bedfordshire and Suffolk and as I said we are in East Anglia :-)) and my Mum and Sister still live near Bury St Edmunds so I am still a Suffolk boy at heart, born in North London though. Bury St Edmunds is a Museum in its own right, a lovely local town Thursford is full of Traction Engines, stationary engines, fairground stuff and Organs. There is also Strumpshaw, Ely Cathedral and a pumping station in Cambridge itself.

Reply to
campingstoveman

I forgot to mention that I volunteered for seven years at Duxford spending my weekends on "Mary Alice" a B17G Flying Fortress now housed in the American Exhibition Hall.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

In message , Nick H writes

If that includes electronic engineering, there's the radar museum at Bawdsey which has an interesting display. My brother Geoff and I went there on the Sunday, after spending the previous day at Henham rally, and found it well worth while with our interest in various forms of electronica. Our father was involved in very early radar, and spent some time working there in the late thirties.

Andrew Marshall

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:58:52 +0100, nickh finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

The Cushing Collection - see

- only open until Sunday, though.

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

AM> If that includes electronic engineering, there's the radar museum at AM> Bawdsey which has an interesting display. My brother Geoff and I went AM> there on the Sunday, after spending the previous day at Henham rally, AM> and found it well worth while with our interest in various forms of AM> electronica. Our father was involved in very early radar, and spent AM> some time working there in the late thirties.

AM> http://www. AM> bawdseyradargroup.co.uk

It certainly does include electronics - particularly when defense or broadcasting related - I worked on a distant descendant of H2S with EMI for

12 years. Bawdsey is a must, I didn't realise there was a museum there.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

H2SO4? ;-)

(Sulphuric acid, of course).

Reply to
MatSav

Ya well below the radar with that assumption. :-)

Tom

Reply to
George

"Oh, Dear, Oh My! Oh, What a shame! Poor Tom, he is no more; For what he drank wasn't aitch-two-oh, But aitch-two-ess-oh-four!" :-)

I've met Nick, and I'm sure I will again - he can explain what H2S is then!

Reply to
MatSav

(snip)

M> I've met Nick, and I'm sure I will again - he can explain what H2S is M> then!

Ah, go google it ;-) Actually Wikipedia seems rather less wayward than usual on the subject:-

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

In message , nickh writes

It's small, but the displays are well-presented.

Dad worked on the early stuff, then Monica, then some other projects. He was with Cossor, first at Highbury, then moving with them to Harlow.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

H2S was a radar fitted to Lancaster Bombers etc during WW2, is everyone happy now :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

Not far east, but the Brooklands Museum hanger has a radio room. It is a right old fashioned set up with antique Radar and radio sets, aged avionics and weird stuff staked high about the walls.

Also, pics of other stuff - engines & hairy planes, including clever reuse of an ABC Vee four APU.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn