Big! stationary engines

Spent a happy hour or so at Coleham Pumping Station, Longden Road, Shrewsbury, yesterday morning.

and also

"Coleham Pumping Station, resembling a Victorian Chapel in style, was built in 1900 to house two massive steam-driven beam engines. They were built in-situ by Renshaws of Stoke in 1897/1898. They were used to pump sewage as part of Shrewsbury's new sewerage system. These coal-fired pumps were used until 1970."

It is well worth a visit and the next open days are 10 and 11 September. I think you'd be hard-pressed to spend a day there, but two hours wouldn't be at all difficult :-)

The high spot for me was watching two 2p coins, balanced on edge, riding up and down the four-foot stroke as they sat (without a tremor) on the cross-head of the LP piston-rod...

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Wonderful, and in steam not compressed air or electric. But WTF are they? Shrewsbury(ish) I guess in Shropshire. No nice link to a map showing where they are though. Bunging "coleham" into multimap doesn't help you get back a 20+ long list of places none of which are in Shropshire...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But a couple of minutes with the RAC online route planner shows that Longden Rd Shrewsbury is quite a long road, the northern end of which seems to be known as Longden Coleham. Could be a clue there?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

This may help:

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Ta, so actually in Shrewsbury rather than the impression that I got that it was only "near" Shrewsbury. If I'm ever down that way and they are open...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice