Big rally engines

I went to Knowl Hill rally at the weekend. Lots of steam and traders but very few stationary engines. There were however two of the largest engines I have ever seen at a rally. Both were permanently mounted on artic trailers. These are not normally my interest but I took the names for those of you who are. The smaller engine was a Tangye FL9 driving something which I cannot remember via an intermediate lineshaft. The larger engine was a Gardner 13HF. 94 HP @ 240 RPM. It wasn't driving anything as it filled the trailer on its own. Both were in immaculate condition. The Gardner was most impressive just whooshing away happily to itself. The trailers were also very well presented with purpose made walkways, curtain sides, engine details, etc. The rally itself was most enjoyable but it was really too hot in the sun. I must admit that I ceased to enjoy it by mid-afternoon and left early along with a lot of others. Shame really as there was more to see but dehydration and exhaustion were setting in.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Sorry Chris, I don't have a digital camera or anywhere to post them if I did. Must organise that sometime. If you want to see it again, it's appeared at Knowl Hill every year that I've been there. They must go to other shows as well. I just don't know which ones.

John

Reply to
John Manders

John --

Both engines are owned by the Nobles. The Tangye has been at Knowl Hill every year since the mid 70's, & is now looking much less smart than it was, but still a delight to watch. It was driving a Tangye two throw pump, & has been remounted on a new trailer some time recently.

I first saw the Gardner some 3 years back when I returned from the US, so not sure how long it's been around. I'll have to read all the display info, all of which I photographed because it was so well done.

Took a mass of pix of both engines, as the light was good. If there is any interest, I'll mount them somewhere for folk to look at. Perhaps as they are large engines, they could go on the Internal Fire website? I'll find out.

T'was 'ot. I stayed in a little camp site a few hundred yards away & did

2 hours on, 2 hours off -- even watched the fireworks from afar -- much less busy that way!

Some other very good engines there. Talking to Stan Mills, he was telling me the numbers were down. Must confess there was never a huge engine contingent, but I seem to recall that the overall rarity of engines seemed higher in the past when I used to exhibit in the '70's & '80's. I've still got all the catalogues since then, so I'll recheck out of curiosity. Some exhibitors like Terry Lines have continued every year since the '70's, but a lot of new faces.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne