Enstone

I shall be there this coming Saturday. Here is my half annual public service
announcement ;o))
Enstone Airfield
Leave M5 at J 11A.
A417. SO A436.
Junction of A417/A429, TL Bourton on the Water.
A429 to Stow on the Wold. TR A436
Junction A436/A44, TR A44 - Chipping Norton.
by-pass Chipping Norton continuing on the A44.
2.9 miles after the traffic lights to the east of Chipping Norton, you enter
the 30mph limit signifying the start of Enstone village.
300m after the 30 limit signs turn left, signposted Church Enstone and
Bicester.
Continue round the back of Enstone village, through Church Enstone, across
the B4022/B4030 junction.
The entrance to the airfield is 0.75 mile on your left from this point.
There are usually signs saying "Vintage sale" or somesuch.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Only a Biker knows why a dog
sticks his head out of a car window.
Reply to
Kim Siddorn
I hope to see folks there but my poor memory for faces is renowned. I will however have a car full of bits for Internal Fire to be collected by persons yet to be defined.
For those interested in such stuff, there's a nice little aviation museum between Enstone and Chipping Norton. It's a small, private and relatively cheap setup that makes a nice addition to the day while you're in the area.
John
Reply to
John
The number of times I have passed that place and its always closed :-(( Just for you John I have my name on my cap and I will also wear it backwards for you.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Gentlemen,
I had a chat with my partner in crime and we have decided that we have nothing to sell and currently need nothing to buy so I intend to crawl around under my daughter's car repairing a couple of exhaust brackets. Enjoy your day and may the pennies fly, by the way you wont miss John he will be the one tutting at un-painted engines :-))
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
John, I'll be fetching the bits for Internal fire if Paul cant make it. Just look out for the 2 gorrillas you cant miss us :-) Regards Gary M
Reply to
gary millward
Don't forget to mention the trilogy, Nigel AKA A****ole :-))
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Martin, I forgot about him:-). So John look out for two gorrillas with a small ginger dog :-))..
Regards Gary.
Reply to
gary millward
Gentlemen,
Did nobody go to Enstone today then, no one crowing about their finds, I took some more Stainless to the scrap man, repaired my daughters car and had a tidy up. I've brought a large cabinet home from work which was of no further use and intend squeezing it into the garage tomorrow once I have emptied a kitchen cupboard and floor standing unit of the contents, don't know where to put my bench grinders yet though but at least I will be able to put away more stuff. Hopefully got so barn space so that I can clear my drive as well. All helps towards brownie points with my lovely wife.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Martin, we went. I managed to clear out my wallet by coming home with a Bitsa of a lister H type that will certainly help the restoration of mine along, until the spares become available (optimistic i know:-) ) to fix up the other as well. Also picked up an L type mag chain guard and a few old blow lamps Steve seems to be starting up a collection :-) We met up with all the usual reprobates and had a good bit of banter as usual, the only thing missing was the grub wagon :-(.
Regards, Gary.
Reply to
gary millward
We met up with all the usual reprobates and had a good bit of banter
I was missing as well :-))
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Martin your absence was noted :-)
Regards Gary M
Reply to
gary millward
The usual intelligencia were there despite forbodings of non attendance by some . Met Kim when I first arrived and seemed to bump into him at every turn from then on. He seemed to have put on weight during the day until he opened his jacket to reveal a fuel tank or two. I did my usual trick of taking a car full of stuff to give away. Paul took a load of electrical items and a toilet back to Wales. Plumbing is finally arriving at IF apparently. My purchases were more than usual this time. a 5/8UNF tap for 50p helps my collection and a couple of clamps for house renovation. A hitch lock for the trailer may help keep it. A 1941 Machinery's Handbook and a 1931 copy of The High Speed IC Engine by Harry Ricardo came for =A36 each. Should keep me amused for a while. The weather was unusually warm for Enstone and, yes, we all mised you and the tea wagon Martin.
John
Reply to
John
"campingstoveman" wrote (snip):-
I Was there! You and the tea wagon were much missed, though not necessarily in that order ;-) Met up with a number of NG regulars past and present, bought the usual 'few odds and ends' including a small hand operated generator with LT and HT outputs which I demonstrated this to P T-E by attempting to electrocute myself. When I got home I stuck a meter on it and was surprised to find that reasonably vigorous cranking produced around 10v LT and 500v HT - no wonder it tickled!
Acquisition of the day wasn't actually a purchase as the Evinrude pumper which Mike H rescued from a skip last year joined my life and the DelcoLight 7B12 departed - more of that later.
Nick H
Reply to
Nick H
Its just dawned on me, in a way I'm glad I did not come cos one of my stoves would have been in melt down making loads of tea's, that was a lucky escape I must say. Been busy today taking out an old kitchen cupboard and work unit from the garage and replacing it with a large steel cabinet I acquired from work. Been culling a few items as well which means I have had to compact the rubbish in my wheelie bin with my trusty 14lb sledge hammer to make space for two more days of household waste. A very useful item a sledge hammer, a few gentle taps on the kitchen furniture reduced them to small bits to go into a small trailer I have :-)) Glad to hear you had a good day.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
I love the run to Enstone. About half an hour on the M5 then a forty odd mile thrash across country on clear A roads on a beautiful spring morning. Driving along with the roof open, you can hear the lark in the blue dome of heaven - well, at least at roundabouts when the wind roar lessens!
I'd not even got out of the car park when John found me & as he said, we kept pace with each other more or less until Roland and Philip - those famous wearers of hats - came upon me. Thanks to Roland for fixing my oil regulator from the ST flat twin. Dan Howden had a few bits for sale, but was sent off to look at a Tangye exhaust. I found a rammer sitting looking forlorn & was a bit surprised to find it standing there & not under the arm of a Milward!
I found a low speed rev counter. It is several lbs of solid brass, a very nice bit of new old stock kit suitable for a bigger engine - like the Crossley 1075, an engine I've not looked at in ages, I'm afraid.
Ever on the look out for neat, small brass petrol tanks, I came across a couple of cheap unused round ended tanks with hand pressure pumps - like on blow lamps, that sort of pump. They were joined by over a dozen mica insulated plugs & a Hills magneto more or less complete but lacking a spark. A motorcycle type Lucas magneto that will make a good spare for the Inter appeared for not a lot & was snapped up. Finally, the mortal remains of a two stroke flat twin John Bull sleeper drill & a brand new big blue jerry can for a merge four quid.
No big deals & no pack drill upon returning home!
I noticed the flat twin Levis that appeared at several Sort Outs and Enstones was missing from both this spring. Can it be that he has found someone that thought it was worth the £400 he'd been asking for it?
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Reply to
Kim Siddorn
Under "now it can be told" as I am a great believer in hubris, I met the owner of the ABC Mk1 APU that was displayed at the Sodbury Sort out this afternoon, exchanged a number of drinking vouchers for two boxes of bits, chatted for a while & ran off home chortling to myself. He'd been at Enstone & had changed his mind about never, ever selling it, bless him.
I need to pore over it for a while to gauge just what I have/need, but the engine itself appears quite complete with carb & magneto but (of course) missing its ancillary gearbox and generator. It is possible that my box-of-bits MkII has a gearbox & if so, I think one of the generic 300W gennys will do.
More news as it happens ...........
Regards,
Kim Siddorn May the fourth be with you
Reply to