Enstone this Saturday

Who's going? I shall be there .....
I understand that we are likely to come back somewhat more moist than we
went!
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Enstone Airfield - OX7 4NP
Leave M5 at J 11A.
A417. SO A436.
Junction of A417/A429, TL Bourton on the Water.
A429 to Stow on the Wold. TR A436
Junction A436/A44, TR A44 - Chipping Norton.
by-pass Chipping Norton continuing on the A44.
2.9 miles after the traffic lights to the east of Chipping Norton, you enter
the 30mph limit signifying the start of Enstone village.
300m after the 30 limit signs turn left, signposted Church Enstone and
Bicester.
Continue round the back of Enstone village, through Church Enstone, across
the B4022/B4030 junction.
The entrance to the airfield is 0.75 mile on your left from this point.
Reply to
kimsiddorn
Depends which weather forecast you believe; BBC looks ok, Accuweather not so. I'll be there come rain or shine - not that I actually *need* anything of course!
BTW, moving my Douglas the other day I noted it is still without oil cap - do you still have it?
NHH
Reply to
NHH
I shall be in attendance as well.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Hmm, most of the airfield is blacked out on Google's satellite view - is that true for UK viewers too, or is it only for me looking from the US? Weird though... what the heck do they still do on the site that warrants it?
cheers
Jules
Reply to
Jules Richardson
That'll be the chicken sheds!
NHH
Reply to
NHH
If we told you, we'd have to kill you... :-)
Reply to
Frank Erskine
:-) A few years back, I found an underground silo just on the outskirts of the airfield there - no idea how long it had been there or what its purpose was, but I assume it was once part of the airfield (it was in woodland, and if I remember right just across the road from the airfield perimeter).
Buggered if I can see where it was on the satellite view now, though. Maybe they edited it out. I think I posted to uk.rec.subterranea about it at the time, too, but those messages seem to have gone from google's archive. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya... ;-)
cheers
Jules
Reply to
Jules Richardson
Forecast looks slightly better now than it did at the beginning of the week.
We will be there, got to see Kim and Phillip Gallimore for exchanges/collections of various things.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk
Peter A Forbes
Buying, selling or both?
John, also hoping to be there.
Reply to
John
It all looks visible to me.
John
Reply to
John
Me to know, you to find out :-))
Martin P
Buying, selling or both?
John, also hoping to be there.
Reply to
campingstoveman
Oooh - you are a tease ;-) I'll bring a mug. Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
Think I was right about the sheds; they were particularly pungent today and after the defense cuts they are probably a major part of our deterrent capability.
Seemed to be plenty of engines changing hands, mostly small to medium sized open crank Amanco type stuff. There was a very nice little American lighting set the name of which escapes me - vertical side valve single with crank case cast in unit with dynamo frame - £650 I think and probably worth it. A horizontal air cooled Farryman diesel might just have called to me but was already sold. A Lake Breeze hot air engine fan was very nice and rare in this country, but unfortunately not as rare as a spare £750 at the moment.
Came away with only a few minor purchases but a most enjoyable morning's foraging none the less.
NHH
Reply to
NHH
Nick,
I think its the first time we have seen each other this year so good to find you in good health, saw Kim in distance but he always seemed to be moving away from me so never caught up with him. Micrometer is I believe a Watchmakers Micrometer.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Surely must've seen you at one or more of the summer rallies though I admit I can't recall. Anyway, nice to find you in similarly rude health - didn't see Kim and he is pretty hard to miss!
NHH
Reply to
NHH
I had an excellent run up on uncluttered roads - M5 to J11a then 35 miles of A roads, Stow on the Wold, Chipping Norton etc. 85 miles in about 100 minutes. Going back took longer as I was in a l-o-n-g queue behind a tractor towing a dead coach! 20 mph for miles into Stow and beyond.
Arriving at 7.45 to find people already carrying stuff away, it seemed to me that there was more tat for sale than usual - just junk that the vendor had lying about. There was a range of engines, but nothing at all to raise my collector's hackles.
I bought a very nice Anglepoise fluorescent lamp that illuminates my keyboard as I speak! Fiver. A couple of moving coil meters with Chinese markings on the faces. £3. Some NOS small mains operated motors with very well made (aircraft standard) gearboxes giving 5 RPM. £1 each. A Motor Engineer's book - 1953. £4.
There was a Marvil on an unusual sheet steel petrol tank that tempted me at £55. However, it seemed low in the compression dept and I've just replaced three HT coils & capacitors on some of the ones I have already and it's £65 a go to do this. I rationalized it that I have several incarnations of these little beasts already and as the vendor was unable to speak for it in any way at all nor was prepared to budge on price, I left it there. Sigmund Freud would have been amused with my totally unenvious reaction when I saw A.N. Other carrying it away a little later.
There were some decent steam models for sale in the £750 - £1250 range but I saw no ST small power engines or their ilk.
I swear the ground at Enstone is worse every time I go there - I think they rip it up specially. Glad I had my boots back from the cobblers with new soles last Friday! It would have been no fun at all in shoes or wellies!
I only saw Peter & Rita Forbes and John Manders. I was looking for Martin but didn't see him or Nick. I was away by 10.15 & home in just over two hours.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Reply to
kimsiddorn
Kim,
I was one of the vendors with junk, which gave me a tidy sum " one mans junk is another mans gold" comes to mind. :-))
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
kimsiddorn wrote (snip):
'Twas a Jacobsen Utilimotor / Lloyds Autoscythe engine.
NHH
Reply to
NHH
We caught that going up the hill the other side of Chipping Norton later in the day.
Got a very nice Max Sievert blowlamp, almost new condition for a fiver, met up with Kim and relieved him of four meters, to be modified as required, found a decent bumper for a Landy which followed us home, also picked up from and delivered to, Phillip Gallimore.
We went out over to Stockton on Teme afterwards, which is how we came to catch the coach and tractor. Bought a complete Disco 2 rear door for £25 and made the trip to collect it. Ending up buying a spare complete V8 engine off the same guy.
I think I saw Roly in a blue car, not his usual Peugeot estate, something else, also briefly saw PTFE carrying chunks of Atomic engine between vehicles in the car park.
Peter
Reply to
Peter A Forbes
That is his usual Peugeot Estate the 406 went a while ago.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman