norman

hi all Has anyone got any info on a Norman twin T300 mark2 No.TA33554300
aprox year 1947
thanks
peter
Reply to
peter
Loading thread data ...
The manuals are on the Internal Fire CDROM. You can also view them at
formatting link
but you need to register first to get access.
Reply to
crn
Here's some info ........
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
History
In 1930, the Marconi Company asked the Norman company for a lightweight, air-cooled petrol engine capable of driving a one-kilowatt generator. The three prototypes were of 250cc, but by then the requirement had risen to 1.25 kilowatt, so the capacity was raised to 300cc. Production commenced in 1932 and continued in one guise or another until the factory closed down in 1968, the Mk2 being introduced at the end of the war. Certain features were modified in an attempt to keep the price down. The oil filler is different, the Mk 1 has a detachable starting handle and the bottom of crankcase is finned, but the most noticeable difference is that the top of the main casting behind the mag is rounded whereas the Mk2 has a flat top with tapped holes for attaching a fuel tank. The flywheel doubles as a very efficient fan and is cast in aluminium. Mk1 flywheels bolted to a steel hub but Mk2 are fitted direct onto the mainshaft.
The exhaust pipes curving around the engine leading to a common silencer are the the alternative to the canister type silencers that fitted directly onto the exhaust ports. The latter were optional from about 1948/9. Some engines were also available with a paraffin conversion.
As a stationary engine, the Mk 2 was largely used on battery chargers and lighting sets and, from 1938, large numbers were bought by the War Department. The Admiralty bought them for use in charging sets on MTBs and a marine version was also made, basically the same but without the governor. Some were supplied to Imperial Airways for use on flying boats as Auxiliary Power Units (APU's) and typical tasks would have been charging batteries, bilge pumping and fuel lifting. They were also supplied to various firms for driving compressors and Auto Diesels purchased large numbers of T300's to power lighting sets.
The serial number on these engines is found on the left side of the crankcase and is repeated on the brass plate on the top of the governor. That said, many of the WW2 engines do not have a serial number and in any case, the numbers frequently do not agree as parts are readily swapped from one Mark to another and most parts are interchangeable. About 5,000 MK 1's were made and around 7,500 Mk 2's. Confusingly, Mk1's have serial number commencing with TE whereas MK2's begin TA. For Mk2's, the post war numbers ran:- 1945 TA1001, 1950 TA4673, 1960 TA8034, 1968 TA8590.
From a practical point of view, the engines are very light to carry about, easily started and are smooth in operation, but Mk1's are said to be noticeably smoother than the later engines.
If you want to know more about these interesting little engines, Stationary Engine magazine published a comprehensive article by Phillip Gallimore in numbers 95, 96, 98 & 100.
Reply to
Kim Siddorn

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.