Bogies for Clerestory Coaches

Hi all

I need bogies and wheels for 4 coaches I just won and if someone could assist that'd be great.

The part number I can see on the ones I have here says L5542 - I am also wondering if there may be other part numbers that would suit as well.

Here is the link to the auction

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

On 14/05/2006 05:34, mindesign said,

Nothing to do with your question, I'm afraid, but in the UK we get a fair number of problems on eBay with US buyers not understanding the difference between USD and GBP (across the board, not specifically model railway related). What must it be like with USD and AUD????

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I suspect Steve would not care at all if some one sent him say 100 USD instead of 100 AUD, since it would amount to roughly a 40% mark up ;-)

Reply to
Kevin Martin

I didn't know Hornby or Triang had done these coaches in Midland livery. They were originally produced in GWR chocolate and cream, to go with the Lord of the Isles 4-2-2.

Were these a repaint?

Anyway, you can get the original bogies from Modelspares . Their price list can be downloaded from

As of May 6 it says "Any coach bogie with wheels and hook, 6 for 10 pounds or 2 pounds each". So the postage wil lprobably be more than the cost of the parts!

Give them a call on 01282 771109

Tell them the bogies are for the original Triang Clerestories.

Not to be confused with the later long bogies on the Hornby clerestories currently in production.

Good luck

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

have to say I have never had an issue

Reply to
mindesign

Thanks for the contact - I feel certain that these are the longer, more recent Clerestories

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

If the photos are correct, having compared them to a box of both the older (Lord of the Isles) type (with correct moulding but shorter) and the newer versions (correct length but with 'painted' on moulding) these are the older type.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

I guess you could say they are the newer type of the older mouldings - made in the 80's

Because of their colour I mistook them for Hornby's later offering (which I have here in GWR and love)

I find this link helpful from time to time

mindesign

No. The more recent ones are corridor coaches. The ones shown are non-corridor.

The original ones are being re-released as part of the Lord of the Isles set for collectors. The picture shows hennaing and brake third.

Here's the longer, more recent one, again the brake third. The guard's and luggage are is much larger and there are corridor connections:

Good luck...Chris

>Thanks for the contact - I feel certain that these are the longer, more

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

They've certainly appeared in the somewhat similar LMS livery, as well as LNER teak, in recent years. I think SR livery is the only "Big Four" paint job they *haven't* yet released for these coaches.

suspect that for authenticity the short clerestory coaches should, like the longer through-corridor models of more recent years, have bogies with footboards as well as full-length footboards along the rest of the coach.

David Belcher

Reply to
deb107_york

Thanks. I didn't know about LMS versions.I've seen the LNER version, which didn't look too bad - the NER had high, boxy clerestories. PEter Denny repainted some for the GC for his Buckingham layout.

I think you're right. They were the standard bogies that run under practically everything else Triang and Hornby sold at the time.

I was stressing the original clerestories, not the later ones.

The carriages were actually freelance, but apart from the lack of bolections round the windows, the bodies were a fair representations of Dean era coaches. They were a useful base for kit-bashing into other Dean vehicles.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Hi again folks

I have now received the LMS clerestory coaches and can confirm the later bogies do not fit. My other early clerestories have a rivetted bogie attached and these look like they are correct for their LMS borthers. the coach numbers are R332 and R333 ..... I have now checked several bogies and it seems folks here are totally correct - they will accept a push-in bogey that is used on a variety of other carriages.

thanks

steve

Reply to
mindesign

I was never sure if they were based on GW or North Eastern clerestory stock; there certainly seems to have been a strong "family likeness" to the latter as much as to the Dean vehicles. As regards the Southern, back in the 70s, Railway Modeller ran a good few artciles on conversion on the coaches to various types of ex-LSW arc-roof stock, right down to retaining the Tri-and bogies and adapting them to a closer approximation of the correct type. Can't quite remember the name of the guy responsible, though - Terry somebody; the surname escapes me for now.

David Belcher

Reply to
deb107_york

I was never sure if they were based on GW or North Eastern clerestory stock; there certainly seems to have been a strong "family likeness" to the latter as much as to the Dean vehicles. As regards the Southern, back in the 70s, Railway Modeller ran a good few artciles on conversion on the coaches to various types of ex-LSW arc-roof stock, right down to retaining the Tri-ang bogies and adapting them to a closer approximation of the correct type. Can't quite remember the name of the guy responsible, though - Terry somebody; the surname escapes me for now.

David Belcher

Reply to
deb107_york

Hmm - seems to have been posted in duplicate by mistake. Apologies for that.

David Belcher

Reply to
deb107_york

Out of interest have you ordered some replacements from modelspares?

I ask because I have four R332/3 clerestories, three of which are missing their bogies. The fourth has the original bogies which have rather crude split axles and open axleboxes. I am wondering if the modelspares replacements would have these wheels or would have pinpoint bearings?

Reply to
ab

Most likely to be pinpoints. Also, they'll be the newer sort of bogies that clip-fit to the coach underframe rather than the old rivetted sort. The older type of bogie is easy enough to remove and replace, though - just needs the rivet drilling out or its edge prising with a screwdriver; I did such a bogie swap on a pair of Tri-ang "shorty" non-corridor suburbans.

David Belcher

Reply to
deb107_york