Hornby Clerestory Coaches (Triang too)

Hi folks

Just wondering if someone out there knows the story of the life of these lovely little models?

I have bought several over time - all through eBay - and find it difficult to work out which I am actually going to receive. What I mean is: It looks like that must've started production back in the 60's and have continued through to now. I am yet to see any with fitted interiors (would like to find interiors for mine), but they certainly had a range of detailing at least paint-wise over the years. Also, their length changed and glazing was added at some point too, I think.

The ones I am most interested in buying are the one with more highly detailed paintwork in LMS and GWR.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

A model of no known prototype? Par for the course.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Was it not released originally as a BR engineering coach in departmental green ie: not meant to represent any particular company design?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Originally released in GWR chocolate & cream if I remember correctly. It was later released in both olive green and black livery represting a departmental coach.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"mindesign" wrote

These are longer than the original Tri-ang releases, but do not have the raised panel beading, it being represented by the more complex painting as you suggest. A real case of a retrograde step by Hornby in my opinion.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's right. I was new to the hobby and bought two to run behind a pannier I was building. Found out a few months later they were imaginary, so hacked them into three, four wheelers, also slightly non-proto, but better looking.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

LOL all I know is I like what I think of as the "later" offering, which is usually in GWR livery and sports well detailed paintwork.

I think they're cute and should look great behind my earlier locos. I guess I have 15 of them in LNER and LMS liveries, as well as a couple of Ratio kitbuilt ones - at least I think they're ratio kits

Thanks all

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

On a related subject, anyone know a source (preferably cheap) of replacement bogies for these?

I recently acquired a few of these coaches which have had the bogies replaced with metal EM (or some such) bogies, and would like to be able to run them on my bog-standard OO.

(ab)

Reply to
ab

I was a teenager when these were first released, they were a huge disappointment to me as the pre-production mockups showed full panelling. From memory, the Triang coaches matched plans of some GWR clerestory diagrams reaonably well, but were shortened by a few panels, I'm afraid I can't remember which diagrams they matched most closely (I last looked into this over 20 years ago). A cut and shut could produce a reasonably accurate model, but is it really worth it when there are other options in kit form? Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies