Dapol suburban coaches - what's the prototype?

I've just bought a job lot of surplus Dapol suburban composite coach bodies (unpainted) on eBay, but am now trying to establish what prototype they're based on. I can only establish negatively from my modest picture sources that they're not BR Mk1, and nothing GWR either. The layout is unusual (to me): three Thirds, a lavatory window each side, then two Firsts, then three Thirds. This based on the relative spacing of the windows, the Firsts being compartments with more leg room. Also the doors have oval ventilators over them. At a guess 1920s design and LMS? Does anyone know, please?

Tony Clarke

Reply to
Tony Clarke

LMS D1736 Composite Lavatory Non-Corridor. Period II. Correct numbers are

19171-19195. Only 25 built ar Wolverton in 1930. The models are ex Airfix BTW. You will need LMS 9ft bogies and an underframe detailing kit to make anything of these bodies. You can paint them in the fake panelled livery of Period II all the way to BR maroon. Last coach withdrawn July 1964.

Not a bad model at all. I have a rake of these (tarted up)on my layout. There is a corresponding BTL to D1737, as you might imagine, from Airfix. If you buy Hornby new type bogies make sure to get the short spring rivetted version.

Alistair Wright LMS Society Coaching stock steward

Reply to
Alistair Wright