My ideas for needed models

Locos Units and Coaches

These are model I think should be produced and why, some are single survivor

GWR

4-4-0 Let start with City of Truro - no explanation required, I'd buy one, suitable for GWR, BR and preserved lines.

2-8-0T Quite a few preserved, and never an RTR model.

SR

02 0-4-4

Very popular on the Isle of Wight, also there is a real one and no-one has ever done and RTR model.

LNER Moguls K1 2005 North York Moors and mainline, can do in apple green K4 3442 Servern Valley and mainline, can do in apple green

SDJR

7F Two preserved, I think they could be quite popular

BR Class 14 Only one I can think of with no model current or shortlisted, with preserved examples Class 28 Could do with a current model - a very odd loco Electrics Could do with a early decent AC electric 81 or say 85

Multiple units GRCW 100 Quite common and never a model

123 & 124 Decent models of both of these Mark1 based DMUs could be popular, near 123 for Western Region, later on mix and match between both.

Suburban DMUs From 115 to 118, 121, 122, 125, and 127 are all suburban DMUs. I think they could be done with 4 cab fronts (BR, Pressed Steel, BRCW, GRCW) three I think power car designs, and three trailers.

eg

116, 117, 118 same power cars with different fronts, 117, 118 same trailers, 115 & 116, 127 same trailers I think, 115 and 127 same power car bodies, not sure how similar to 116/7/8 they are. 125 DMBS is different to 116/7/8 AFAIR. However a good proportion of BR DMUs could be made from a limited amount of tools.

Southern EMUs

4TC Ran with 33s, 73s, 430s can use some standard Mk1 bodies 4VEP Very common

Coaches GWR

Bachmann - produce a couple more Sunshines eg a Brake Third and Composite, not just the BCK and TK as featured on SVR and at Didcot Hawksworth stock - good looking, still some around, could get away with TK, BTK, CK Hornby - when you revamp your late 20s GWR stock please include the C54 TK the rest just need to be up to date.

LMS - models at last, can only think of period 1, and also the port hole stock

LNER Hornby extend your Gresleys GCR Barnum stock

SR lots of holes here LSWR IronClads 4 models I think will do the lot SECR non corridor stock, such as the birdcages

Off the wall ideas D84xx NBLs forgotten loco Baby Deltic Worth a punt GWR 47xx A big 2-8-0

4REP Very similar to 4TC change the chassis use your RBR and 1 new coach design gives you this, also need a good motor for your 12 coach train GWR Tourist stock Looks good and preserved GWR Churchward Toplights would look good SECR Corridor boat train stock - see KWVR

Sorry not up on modern units

Reply to
Martin

Very limited appeal for BR modellers, which seems to be an increasing market (I can remember when BR was never talked about and pre-grouping was common), but I do agree that a GWR 4-4-0 is needed and for that reasons I would suggest a 90xx "Dukedog" which would then appeal for all the same reasons above.

Again, limited appeal due to having a limited real life locality, OTOH there shouldn't be any reason to stop both the 2-8-0T and 2-8-2T classes could be produced from the same basic tooling, I suspect that latter would be the more popular though.

Would need the correct rolling stock to go with it... :~))

Both limited appeal, money would be better spent in producing either an O4 (this would also appeal to GWR modellers), J27 (NER fans must be screaming out for them), a decent model of the J50 tank or my personal wish - the L1 2-6-4T (common on the ex GCR and southern end of the ex GNR out of London).

Hmm, interesting, 25 years ago perhaps, Ivo Peters anyone?

Nice loco, totally inappropriate for most layouts unless modelling either an industrial or preserved railway - the real locos were barely run-in before being sold off by BR!

Cough, cough, literally, made more smoke when totally healthy than a sick Baby Deltic, and that's saying something!

Along with some nice British spec OHEL equipment!........

Lets not even go there, far to localised, it's like trying to argue between the merits of a Pannier tank and a Jinty if only the one could be produced...

Both will be easy conversions once Bachmann produce their Cep.

Same problems as for DMUs, probably even more so though, some stock only ran on certain routes and at certain times, basically one can't just expect to be able to boxes for all stock - coaches and the less common wagons more so than locos IMO.

...and best forgotten, like the Metro-Vick Co-Bo's!

:~) With half the model already being made for the class 20 it could be a relatively cheap model to produce, detailed plans might be the problem though and two distinct front end designs would need to be produced with no period of cross over - the class were either running with head code discs or head code boxes.

Competes with the existing 28xx from Hornby and has less prototypical route availability.

See comment re the TC above no reason why the TC can't be motorised to help with traction in these days of DCC, it would just need a centrifugal clutch between motor/flywheel and gear set....

Reply to
:Jerry:

":Jerry:" wrote

A 'Dukedog' might convince me to make a model based on Barmouth station on the Cambrian Coast line. Can't think of any other ex-GWR loco which might persuade me to switch to modelling an former GWR prototype.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm glade you didn't say 'Swindon prototype', the news of the forth coming Dapol Cl. 22 "Baby Warship" seriously questioned my future plans [1], but the future planes of a Cl.15 from Heljan have kept then on track - I'm still very doubtful as to Dapols ability to actually produce anything worthwhile in 4mm scale, now if they were going to adapt the tooling so that they could also produce a Cl. 21/29 I might have to swallow my doubts...

[1] think north Devon and the Hornby milk tanks....
Reply to
:Jerry:

After all the other large-wheeled GWR 4-4-0s were withdrawn, Truro still had to earn its keep. It was Reading station pilot for a while and also worked the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line.

But the small-wheeled 4-4-0s had a far longer life, satisfying modellers from pre-grouping (even late Victorian) to BR days.

And to be honest a small engine like this, pulling four carriages looks much more sensible than a Castle and four.

A Dukedog would be a nice engine, but if they do that, they could get four locos for the price of two:

Dukes: introduced in the 1890s, lasted into the 1950s. Like a Dukedog but with the original curved frames. Parallel boiler with large dome. Originally round topped firebox, later Belpaire

Curved frame Bulldogs: Like a Duke but with a tapered boiler and Belpaire firebox. Some like this from new, others rebuilt from Dukes. circa 1900 to the 1950s.

Straight frame Bulldogs: the main Bulldog builds. Like the Dukedog but with tapered boiler. Early 1900s to the 1950s

Dukedogs: 1930s rebuilds combining the straight frames from withdrawn Bulldogs and the parallel boilers from Dukes.

Four engines from two sets of tooling.

Recent Bachmann American engines have come with alternate wood and steel cabs in the box. They could do something similar and provide replaceable long (superheated) and short fireboxes. Make the engine itself without top feed, just the brass safety valve cover, and provide a top feed add-on with springy plastic pipes.

Giving even more alternatives straight out of the box

Minimal extra work to do some of the variants, possibly as special editions:

Original Duke with round top firebox.

Later Bulldogs with deeper frames.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I think I would add a 4CIG as they did run on all of the Southern divisions and 3 car versions still operate on the Lymington branch.

Reply to
Chris

I could use one... :-)

Not allowed! ;-) I just bought a DJH kit to build, so no company is allowed to make one of these for the next 10 years!!! ;-)

Hmmm, no use having the TC without the REP... :-$ but it would need to have

4 motor bogies to be prototypical... ;-)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

I've heard that this MIGHT be the next model commissioned by the NRM.

Yeah, we definitely need a suburban DMU as there are so many possibilities and some like the 117 had a very long life.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Me want.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Duke or Bulldog, surely? Larger classes, longer lived.

Already been done - Silver Fox do one (SF0041, in green or blue). They also do classes 15, 22, 23 and "41" (the six-axle NBL DH machines) as well as classes

76, 77 and 81..

Done by Silver Fox (SF0051, again in green or blue) - and for MUs they do the class 128 parcels units and the Derby lightweights.

S'not just Hornby and Bachmann..

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

shortlisted,

Don't think Silver Fox do a 15, or if they do it's not on their website.

Cheers, Martyn

Reply to
M Roberts

Four engines for the price of two sets of tooling. Between them covering the 1890s to the 1950s.

Dukes, curved and straight framed Bulldogs and Dukedogs.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Very true, like a lot of other RTR models, most of which have already been marketed by one kit manufacturer of another at some point in history, why do Hornby, Bachman & Heljan bother...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Advertised in this month's RM (one of the retailers has 'em - check out the adverts in the front of the magazine).

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Except these are RTR, not kits...

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

No, they are kits that the kit company have made up for the customer, available as either a "finished" body kit or also mated to the required chassis - both at a considerable price premium compared to the high street price of the none made up kit RTR models. For example the Silver Fox model of the Baby Deltic is listed at 75 GBP for a finished kit (less chassis), that price could very likely be the price point of a RTR model should Bachmann ever decide to produce them (taking on board that they have already developed 95% of the chassis) whilst Silver Fox want 135 GBP for a running model. Sorry but you are trying to compare chalk and cheese.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Snipped irrelevent chatter...

Wash your mouth out...

After finished with upgrade of 4-6-0's - where is that parallel boiler Scot ? Then 4F and 2P - upgrades desperately required. Plus some variations - a Johnson tender would be nice even though am trying to kit bash one at the moment. Bring back the Compound (also upgraded), recon it would be better received now.

1F's, 2F's, 3F's. Lots of them survived for years. Will Bachmann really produce the G2 ? Could kits of A, B,C,D,E and F be done ? Ok, just an A and D.

Can ignore the Claughton cos when reach suitable competence level or win lottery then will get a kit. Do we really want the masses to own such a machine ?

Finally, Cauliflower, George Vth and Prince of Wales as a nice starter selection ? They made it to BR - just.

Dont be sorry, can be proud !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In message , Andrew Robert Breen writes

That's as may be, but there are likely to be bigger sales with "City of Truro".

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Doubtful, unless the hobby is know out-numbered by collectors, which I hope that it never is as it will seriously skew what prototypes will be made by RTR manufactures - we will be back to the good old, bad old days of the 1970s in terms of RTR stock availability... :~(

Reply to
:Jerry:

snipped-for-privacy@news.aber.ac.uk...

If they're finished, running models then they are RTR. Even Bachmann and Hornby products are, ultimately, a kit of parts assembled by the manufacturer. The price of the Silver Fox products merely reflects the fact that they are not manufactured in volume using cheap far eastern labour.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq