Where to find Eye Drifts for Axes

I went to a forge welding class and got the bug to make a new axe for knocking over trees.
I'm looking for some leads to find sources of drifts for making the
eye in a tree falling axe.
Does anyone have a source, or am I going to have to make my own?
Are there standard sizes for Axe Handles?
Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks, _kevin
snipped-for-privacy@interaccess.com wrote:

The standard size, if any, is "bigger than any ax heads we expect this handle to be fitted to". Axe handles are shaved down to fit the axe head, as axe heads vary. I've pulled heads and brand-new handles from dumpsters where people did not get this concept, so they threw both away when the new handle was "too big".

snipped-for-privacy@interaccess.com wrote:

If you're in Australia, you'll probably have to make your own as importing is bad news on the pocket :-(
Regards Charles P.S. Please prove me wrong!!!!!
i have been seeing tomahawk and hammer drifts on ebay, not sure if they will work for you or not.
Bob

-

Thanks for all of the responses, I appreciate the input.
I did purchase some of the drifts that are currently on ebay, and they appear to be nice cast steel (they need a little time on the grinder to clean up some casting seam lines) but they're not too bad.
The drift for the tomahawk is too small for a falling axe, but would be great for a small camp axe.
On the way to work this morning, I found a bit of truck leaf spring, and I believe I have just found the blank to forge a drift... Any thoughts on the best steel to use for a hot work drift?
Find a handle. Make it into the shape you want and make sure it catches nicely in a flair.
Now you have a handle. A drift is a version of this ?!
Find a person that melts steel themselves. your converted handle-drift
You have a pattern - he has the sand and steel.
The melt steel has to be the grade you want. Then you need to work the metal with heat and dressing files and such.
Not easy, but blacksmiths have done it for years.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
snipped-for-privacy@interaccess.com wrote:

-

Alright, I've never tried to do a drift myself but wouldn't the simplest solution just be a big chisle? tool steel round is pretty cheap and if you wanted something more hands free you can do cool things with pieces of RR track cut in creative ways. Cutting RR track isn't super easy without a good bandsaw. I can do it - just barely - with my harbor freight band saw.
My point is that it seems like you folks are talking about a drift that is really close to the size of the handle and that just seems like a waste of effort to me. As long as you have something that will spread the hole out wide enough you should be in good shape.
GA
We used to use old car axles.
JK
"Kyle J." wrote:

I'm not a blacksmith, just do a little metal here and there - turn, mill, plasma cut...cnc... you can certainly start it with a standard tool - how do you widen it ?
How about a log splitting tool or such. Some are square some are round ... larger than a starting chisel. Might use other drift tools if you have to get larger and easier. Perhaps when it is a hole and thin, standard tools will work.
Kyle J. wrote:

-