Where to get cork for clutches

I don't mean purses. When looking for cork for clutches online I found pictures of purses made from cork sheet. Uhhhhhhhgly. But that's besides the point. I have been looking online for suppliers of cork for making conical clutches. I have found suppliers from India, among other foreign sources, that will sell me pallet loads (container loads too), but I don't need that much. Not yet at least. I tried McMaster-Carr but no joy. I have found cork sheet for gaskets but I don't think I want that. I can send my clutch substrates to clutch and brake makers who also re-line clutches and have them done but this is prohibitively expensive. There are other clutch materials available but I don't know of any that have the same feel as cork. I may need to buy cork in particle form and add some sort of binder to make my own but I hope not. That would take a lot of experimenting to get the right formula. So does anyone here know where to get cork that is made for clutches? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

US Stocking Facility

Talbros Cork Products LLC U.S. Warehousing Facility, Van Brunt Logistics 580 Division St Elizabeth, NJ 07201 email- snipped-for-privacy@bnt-talbros.com

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why, exactly, would sheet goods not work? You can get cork in all sorts of thicknesses. NONE of it is skived anymore -- it's all "re-bonded" particles.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Actually you CAN still buy all natural (cut) cork.

See

for one.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, obviously THAT isn't one of them! Did you bother to look at the picture? There IS a magnifier on that frame, if you care to use it.

That's rubber rebonded particle sheet. Skived cork MIGHT be had from some Bolivian dealer, direct, but it's pretty darned scarce here.

There's a big difference between "natural cork", and skived sheets of cork.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

?natural" cork should have no bonders or glues or other adulterations. I had some cut cork sheets up until a couple years ago that was plain cut cork, and I saw some cork flooring for sale recently locally that was also cut, or skived, cork - not ground up cork dust glued into a sheet.

Reply to
clare

Hi, Eric. Perhaps I can help again! Years ago I attended an estate auction sale of a small, private, machine shop. I bought all the available material and a sample of a machine to wind fishing line onto spools for spinning reels. There were many finished components and lots of material ready to be machined. I was never able to get any drawings or documentation from the family.

The machine used cork clutch material to drive the spinning reel spool. It was glued to the hub of the variable speed motor. I still have a bunch of the material. Some in the original box, I think. You are welcome to it. I think it is still in the shop loft, somewhere!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've got some, too, but what you showed us on that site was re-bond material, not "cut".

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I didn't look closely enough - I just went by "natural cork" in the description. I know it is still possible to buy the "real stuff" because I have stumbled across it several times over the last couple years. Isually in 1/4" and 1/8" thicknesses.

Reply to
clare

How about using leather instead? Several of the guys in my blacksmithing group, myself included, use leath er for cone clutch duty on our Mayer Bros. Little Giant trip hammers. Ther e are plenty of leather suppliers around. it can be gotten in just about a ny thickness, up to 1/4" or so. We are replacing the "Gandy belting" that was originally used.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------

Reply to
spaco

Greetings Clare, I have emailed them but it looks doubtful. It appears from their site that they only sell very large amounts. Hopefully they will be able to tell me where I can buy small amounts of friction material. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Boy Paul, that would be great. I hope to eventually need lots of cork, but I do need to experiment. If I am experimenting with cork from a known source and it is made for friction that would be a good start. Thanks. If you can find some of the stuff I'll pay for the shipping cost. By the way, I now have hundreds of hours on those buck xmfrs and the problem of the lathe drive shutting down has never recurred since I connected them to the lathe. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Greetings Pete, Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose leather would work but I know how the cork works and feels. And the long life is another plus. I have seen old leather clutches that still work and it seems that they had to be kept up with some type conditioner to keep the leather from turning rock hard. Cork apparently doesn't need this. But it may well be that leather inside a housing would not need any kind of conditioning. If the cork doesn't pan out, if I can't get the stuff in the ampunts I need I will look at leather. Eric

Reply to
etpm

======================== Try the suppliers advertizing in Hemmings Motor News. This is a pub for antique/odd car restorers. Hudson had a cork clutch among others.

A few bucks at the larger news stands and see

F. George McDuffee

Buy purses and cut them up?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I will look and see what I have. I will send it all, so you will have to store it and not me! I will let you know about the weight, etc. then get you address, again.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Cork running in "Hudsonite" fluid.

Reply to
clare

Thanks Paul. Your post was especially good news since I have as yet not been able to find the correct type of cork for clutches. I even spoke with clutch companies who told me that they cannot get cork clutch facing material anymore either. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Thanks George, I'll do that. Even though the material might be expensive by the pound each device will not need that much. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Eric. Found the unopened box up in the loft. Somewhere there may be some loose sheets, but I probably tossed them. Here is a URL to the cork material:

There are 9 sheets in the box. It was purchased through a hobby shop in Bend. the price back then was a bit lower than listed today!

I can take it to the plant tomorrow and add a bit of tape and get it off to you UPS. Need name and address.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn