How to create a center line for a rectangular and hexagon block in detailing?

Greetings:

I have a rectangular and an hexagon block like model created in WF1 build 2003400 and would like to make a cross hair centerline for front and a horizontal centerline for side view in detailing. I browse the draft/sketching menu but I don't see any option that would allow me to do that. I also try to create a datum axis using the datums planes (top, right, front) but it doesn't show in detailing even though the "show axis" is on. Am I missing something?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

John

Reply to
njchen24

If you have an axis in the part, you can show it in the drawing with 'View>Show&Erase'. Pick the Axis feature to show, select the By View radio button and pick the view or views where you want this axis to show. You may also be able to select the By Feature radio button and pick it from the model tree. But Show and Erase can only 'show' what's there, so for most features, you need to confirm that there is an axis to show. So, for circular extruded bosses or cuts, surface or solid, an axis is created as part of the feature; so also with the standard or simple hole feature. Other things do not however: centerlines used in a sketch don't show as an axis, nor have I ever gotten an axis point, created in sketcher, to show as an axis. But, as a rule, if you can see it in the model (axis layer unblanked), you can show it in the drawing.

A little axis trick I just picked up, something I'd been wishing I could do, that might be new to Wildfire. Select an axis in a drawing, hover the mouse pointer over it, toward the center, until it turns to a four headed arrow. Click drag outward and the four legs grow outward together so you keep a symmetrical cross hair.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

A couple of thoughts: In 200I^2, in drawing mode, you can equally grow and shrink axes by picking the axis tags (you need the axes layer on, and axes turned on in drawing mode) and:

in sketcher, advanced, you can drop axis points in any section. Seems to me David you're saying you can't show these in drawing mode, whereas I have never had an issue showing them, I can send you my drawing setup file if you want?

Reply to
John Wade