BR Crimson Coaches ( 1950's)

is there any of the preserved railways line stock that have a coach painted in BR Crimson ( suburban) livery

A friend has asked me to paint his BTK model and all the paints I have ( from Prescion paints) for BR Crimson or "blood" seem to be much more maroon than crimson ( and the photos I have seen of those colours on the web or in books)

just like to get a proper view of the colour

Reply to
IOOA

I think you may be a little confused about the liveries. Before 1957, BR gangwayed coach stock was crimson and cream ("blood and custard"). This would have been the livery applied to a BTK. Non-gangwayed (suburban) coach stock was overall maroon. After 1957 all coach stock was painted maroon.

I use Phoenix paints, which I find to be a good match. Crimson - P116. Cream - P117. Maroon - P108.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

AFAIR the blood was lighter than the crimson. But I saw so many different shades as it weathered.

I also thought that the blood and custard was more attractive than the crimson - apart from a London Midland train behind a maroon pacific.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

I have to disagree on one point Enzo, prior to 1957 non-corridor stock was all over crimson not maroon and there's a significant difference.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Enzo Matrix" <

All? Did Enzo write "All"?

Tsk, tsk Enzo. The Southern certainly did NOT paint its coaching stock maroon after 1957, they painted it God's Green. That other mob over at Swindon also painted their stock for certain named trains chocolate and cream.

I'm afraid you'll have to have to turn in the Golden Anorak after that clanger old chum.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

In message , Christopher A. Lee writes

Try P303 - BR Crimson (faded). Most ordinary 'Crimson' is far too dark

- but it did tend to weather to almost a 'dusty' orange.

Reply to
Roderic Cameron

Enzo ought to know better! Bachmann does Suburban Mk1 coaches in both overall crimson and lined maroon.

MartinS

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

Exactly! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Is your face red or crimson? :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Ok, we have established it was all over crimson... i knew that, i am rather old and remember that when i was 11 ( 1960) and went to the big school that the Leighton Buzzard to Dunstable Push & Pull train ( LMS Driver/BTK and

41222 2-6-2T) changed from Crimson to Maroon

but can someone help the my question i asked, is there any preserved line with a full crimson suburban coach?

Reply to
IOOA

So when you were 11 I was 19, that makes you a youngster! Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

It's not available yet, but hopefully there may be one on the Churnet Valley Railway in Staffordshire by the end of this year.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

I know it doesn't help, but I believe all of KWVR's Mk1s are in lined maroon. There was a push & pull set operated by BR in the 1950s; I remember it sat outside Keighley station after the line was dieselised, but I don't remember the colour (probably too dirty to tell).

Reply to
MartinS

Am I correct in believing that LMS engines and coaches were bright crimson while their later BR counterparts were much darker maroon? I ask because I've seen 0-Gauge models offered for sale which to me were clearly the wrong shade of red. An example is a Jubilee in bright LMS crimson with late BR crest. Also a photo I have of a Stanier Pacific is described as having been repainted in "lined LMS crimson" in 1957 whereas it looks much darker BR maroon to me.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I believe that the paint used by BR was very similar to that used by the LMS. However, once applied there was a distinct tonal difference. The LMS engines had a greater depth of colour and shine.

This was probably due to the fact that the LMS took far greater care in preparing their engines for painting, with more undercoats than used by BR. I even heard a story that the LMS used stocks of Caledonian *blue* as undercoat for crimson engines, although I'm not sure of the accuracy of this story.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

Which is *exactly* what is claimed to be the difference between Midland red and LMS crimson. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

My father worked for a paint manufacturer which specialized in vehicle finishes. When they were taken over by Courtaulds everyone had to have a medical to admit them to the Group pension fund. Three of the four people who did the colour matching were deemed to have defective colour vision. Since then I've taken a fairly relaxed attitude to "correct" colour.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

"Ken Parkes" wrote

A wise approach. The Midland Railway painted their goods wagons grey, but photographic evidence suggests this could vary from off-white (ok so I'm exaggerating a tad, but not much) to *very* dark grey, which is hardly surprising when you consider that the paint source for this work is alleged to have been created from the dregs of all their other painting jobs mixed together.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

Some pictures of Midland engines show them to have an almost mirror smooth finish. They must have looked superb!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

All down to the preparation, depth of paint, rubbing down between coats & varnishing. I can't recall whether they applied fourteen or seventeen coats to the top link locos. They were certainly painted to last.

John.

Reply to
John Turner