train storage question

I recently was given my father-in-law's Lionel train collection - A bunch of random cars (mostly box cars) about 60% of them in the original boxes, about 6 engines and some Plasticville buildings.

He gave them to my wife and I in cardboard office file boxes. The cars that don't have the original boxes are wrapped in plastic wrap. We plan to keep them for my son to use when he's older. I don't think that storing them the way they are packed is the best way to keep them in good shape.

What's the best way to store these pieces? Are there any websites for info or storage products?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
linkedit

Sell them on the collectors market and buy some decent models for your son when he is older!

Regards, Greg.P. (personal opinion only)

Reply to
Greg Procter

The plastic bags may react w/ the contents or lubricants.

There are plain, reproduction boxes for Lionel equipment available.

Climate controlled storage at 45%-55% or less humidity is best, cool, not cold, dry storage is 2nd best.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I would think that nice thick paper / cardboard would be preferrable. That seems to be what most models come in.

You don't want them to be exposed to extreme heat or UV light, so I would keep them out of the attic if it isn't part of your regular living quarters. The plastic parts can get quite brittle if exposed to UV or high temperatures.

Reply to
gl4316

Keep the original boxes, no matter how tattered and worn, they add value on the market. Do some research and check E-bay. Some post war Lionel in good condition is quite valuable. For instance a working ZW transformer retails for $400 or so. You may luck out and find your stuff can be sold for substantial money. On the other hand, much old Lionel does not command as much money as the new stuff does. If it is beginning to rust, wipe the metal parts down with an oily rag. I have stored Lionel by merely wrapping it in newpaper. There are a lot of Lionel fans both in real life and on the web. Some googling should lead you to some active websites.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr

In your dreams.

$300 tops for the cream of the crop, average $150-$175 for excellent ones all day long. Prices have dropped considerably with so many other options available now.

There are so many ZW's out there that need full servicing before they should be used. Same goes for most Lionel equipment out there on the market.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1