1950s Model train questions

I uncovered my Lionel train set in my recent move. It's a Lionel 736 "O" gauge made in '53 or '54 from my best guess. I have absolutely no use for it and plan to sell it. It has 5 cars other than the tender including an automatic milk car, Sunoco tank, flat, box and caboose, 4 switches and a double oval of track. Everything needs a good cleaning and there is some rust and small things missing.

The question is how much work should I do on restoration to get the best price? Should I track down the missing pieces like more milk cans, switch lights, switch activators, milk platform, etc.?

I remember as a kid setting it up and running it for half an hour and thought: "This is boring!" and packing it back up. (I should have kept it all in the original boxes and shrink-wrapped it)

Reply to
Buerste

"Buerste" wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

A "true" collector would prefer the set in "as-is" connection as would antique shops/buyers.

Have you checked to see if that model is still in production?

Reply to
RAM³

I would do nothing to it, not even cleaning - find all that you have and then stop.

I just sold a late 40s/early 50s train transformer via ebay - it bought a whole 99 cents - I expected more - so hunt around and find where is the best venue. I'll forward your post to the buyer in case he wants to contact you, but the value of these things is, at best, "highly vairable"

Reply to
Bill Noble

Tawm,

So, electric trains were boring and you ended up making brushes ?

This is far beyond my psychoanalytical skills - would like to hear what Jock Strop has to say . . . .

The question is how much work should I do on restoration to get the best price? Should I track down the missing pieces like more milk cans, switch lights, switch activators, milk platform, etc.?

I remember as a kid setting it up and running it for half an hour and thought: "This is boring!" and packing it back up. (I should have kept it all in the original boxes and shrink-wrapped it)

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I disagree with the other posters. There's no harm in taking off the shells and washing them in mild dish detergent and cleaning them with a tooth brush or other soft bristle brush. Nothing wrong with removing light rust with fine steel wool the same way you would on a gun.

Clean sells better than dirty, but you'll have to put a value on your time. I don't think I'd buy any parts unless it would make something functional that's currently broken. Discount the item to compensate for the cost of the replacement parts.

Boy, that's surprising. All of us at r.c.m have pretty similar interests and I would have suspected that those of us in the 50s / 60s generation enjoyed playing with our Lionel trains. I still set mine up at Christmas. Of course, I was also astounded to learn you were a fine arts major in college rather than an engineer. The only other individual like that I know is the person who owns Metal Lathe Accessories. He was an English professor at a community college before pursuing his metal working interests.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Speaking of fine arts, I've finally come to the time to rid myself of all my

35mm film equipment. From 4 Canon bodies, 6 lenses and a color darkroom. I'll still keep my 120 camera and lenses. I think I waited too long.
Reply to
Buerste

2 EA. A-1 bodies, one LNIB w/soft case LNIB 2 ea. AT-1 bodies one needs felt 28mm 2.8 ? 50mm 1.4 Cannon 135MM ? 100-200mm Sigma 500mm mirror MA Motor drive Auto Bellows

I always liked Canon stuff but If I shoot film anymore, I've got my Kowa.

Reply to
Buerste

Anything I got you want? I could use all of the above. Ive got 2 A-1 bodies already..but...shrug..I do like em. Got a 55 mm 1.2 Cannon... I think...think Ive got a 500mm mirror...got a 500 mm something IRRC.

Or I could simply store all of it and dust it occaisonally until I pass on in 40-50 yrs.

Call me.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'm jealous of the f1.2 lens, that's a sweetie! You always have...firearms. Let me catalog and photograph what I have. I'm curious as to what you use film for?

Reply to
Buerste

"Permanant" photos, close ups, art photos..technical photos etc etc.

While I probably could do much of the same with one of the cool digital SLRs...and likely more versitally....(sp?)....the price of a Canon or Nikon digital SLR is still up in the high 3 low 4 digit prices. Something Im simply not prepared to pay.

Shrug

Im currently quite happy with my Oly C 3030 digitals. Shrug..they are only 3.3 MP..but..shrug..thats really all I need for most of my Stuff. And they are about $30 on Ebay.

Ill be waiting for your list, when you get around to it.