Train Storage

Good day, You were very helpful with my other newbie questions, I have one more.

I have an O-gauge 2023 set, with transformer track, cars, etc. After Christmas, how should I store them so that they are best preserved/protected? I do not have boxes for most of them and they were in a plastic bin, wrapped in bubble wrap or paper.

Thanks in advance, once more.

Reply to
kefaa

What's wrong with the plastic bin and bubble wrap?

Reply to
Slingblade

A museum preservation expert advised me to wrap the trains in un-printed paper - the kind movers use to wrap china, or a couple layers of tissue paper. Acid-free paper is not required for trains. Do not use printed paper as the inks can transfer to the trains. Do not wrap trains directly in plastic film, bubble wrap, or plastic foam as plastics can deteriorate with age and/or react with some train part plastics or paints. For longer term storage, I then put the paper wrapped item in a plastic bag to hold the paper to the item and reduce impact of humidity changes. I use the plastic bags my newspapers are delivered in, or the empty bags from loaves of bread. I use corrugated cardbox boxes to store and protect heavy locomotives and large accessories. The wrapped and bagged rolling stock can be stored as is provided they are not stacked too deeply. Avoid high temperature attic or damp basement storage locations. Gary Q

Reply to
Gareth Quale

Good Morning,

I cannot recommend the type of material to wrap things in, although I admitt, that plain paper idea sounds like an excellent idea. One thing I do know for sure, once the engine is wrapped, etc. make sure you store it, so that the engine is "sitting" on its wheels, not laying on its side. Laying an engine on its side for an extended period of time allows the lubricants to follow the laws of gravity, and will "flow" to the down side. I saw a collection of HO scale steam engines that had been stored that way, and the lubricants ran out and attacked the plastic and the paint. Not a pretty sight.

Bob Rule, Jr.

Reply to
EBTBOB

kefaa wrote: I have an O-gauge 2023 set, with transformer track, cars, etc. After Christmas, how should I store them so that they are best preserved/protected?

Gareth=A0Quale replied: A museum preservation expert advised me to wrap the trains in un-printed paper - the kind movers use to wrap china.

------------------------------------------------------ When I had to store my trains in 1985, I used unprinted newprint. When I unpacked the trains in 1990, they were fine. Bought the paper at U-Haul.

I would not use plastic of any kind (bubble wrap, etc.).

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Reply to