Re: Storage question

I keep mine in a metal tool box as the farmhouse isn't mouseproof!

Other than that they are in the coolest room in the house as the only problem here is the high temperatures in summer. (Brisbane Australia)

Peter

Reply to
Bushy

The kits will probably do fine. Keep the decals and instructions at home.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@erols.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

A lot of times good,

only problem is the decals in some kits yellow, most common problem among AMT and Revell/monogram.

shrinkwrap shrinks over time, but if you aren't a collector,

best thing I could say is put the decals and glass parts in ziplock baggies, or if you build cars, chrome parts also

this way the decals don't dry out, the glass doesn't get scratched up and the chrome doesn't fade.

keep them in a nice area and there is no worries

Reply to
George

Horribly. Send all your aircraft kits to me.

Reply to
EGMcCann

Also, I've noticed that sometimes the tires (vinyl?) in car kits can disolve the plastic they are in contact with over time. I put my tires in a snack-size Ziploc bag to keep the plastic parts safe.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Sagara

Good thought, Martin.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Excellent, many thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
SamVanga

Yes as it as already been said store the Decals separately inside the house. And probably the instructions as well. I would keep an eye out for rodents , remember the boxes are paper which is their ideal nesting material of choice. Any of the boxes that have loose fitting tops or are made of the thinner wavier card stock I would tape shut because of all the little crawly things out there that might get an idea of moving into one or more of the boxes. Depending on how long you'll be leaving them keep an eye out for Spider Webs and all kinds of little silk Cacoons. You don't want to open a box in about 4 months and find a small city being built inside. Hope i've been a little help here.

You can sort of get the idea i've had to store kits this way for a while myself.

.
Reply to
CYBER BORG

old fashioned mothballs work really well in wet climates. and the smell of camphor doesn't get in plastic and will leave paper fairly quickly. (a thank you to my grammy for that tip 45 years agao.)

And thank you for reminding me of it. I used to periodically sprinkle some around the basement to keep the insect life (arachnids too) at bay.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

there's a recipie for turning camphor into a very satisfactory bang.