Help - 1933-1937 Standard Gauge Train set by Lionel

I have a 1933-1937 Standard Gauge Train set by Lionel which includes the engine, several cars, track, trestle, transformer and some other stuff. The overall physical shape the pieces are fair to good condition, but I have quite a bit of rust on many of the items. What is the best way to clean up the rust on the cars, the engine its self is good shape. What I should use to the clean the rust off? Is there anything I can just dip the pieces in to let them soak, without ruining the paint? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks John

Reply to
John

This group exclusively deals with the type of items you have:

Standard Gauge Group

(

)

Join that group and ask your question.

Very best, Mike

The History of Lionel "Super O" Track (

)

Lionel_SuperO_Track Yahoo Group

Click to join Lionel_SuperO_Track

Reply to
HSpanier

I know of no product chemically strong enough to remove the rust while not affecting the paint. If you find something, please let me know! I have tried:

o I have used the popular rust remover, Naval Jelly, in selective application only on rusted areas, but find it is not too effective in that it leaves a rough, discolored surface, and that it alters the color of any paint it gets on to.

o I have a Paasche air eraser (essentially a micro sand blaster) and have tried it on rusted pieces, without very much success. The fine grit will take off paint layer by layer, but is not aggressive enough to do much to rusted surfaces.

o On a couple items with heavy rust, I have used the same approach as auto body shops - grinding and sanding out the rust and filling with Bondo - before repainting.

o I was recently directed to a special wax by the director of our local museum. It is called "Renaissance Wax" made by Picreator Enterprises Ltd. of London UK. It was developed by the British Museum for preserving centuries old furniture, art works, armour, etc. I have used it on some mildly rusted Ives rolling stock with good results. The wax gives a slight satin luster to the painted or lithographed surfaces, tends to hide mild scratches, and seems to slightly fill rusted areas and tone down the rust from a light red-brown to a darker brown that is visually less obtrusive. The wax has the additional benefit of preventing (or at least greatly slowing) any additional rust formation. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer