Restoring old Lionel trains

Hello..I hope everyone is doing well today...To make a long story short..My mother would would have been 85 this year passed away last fall and one of the items she left me was an old set of Lionel trains she got for her birthday when she was 8 years old in 1931..It is a Lionel #254 engine in dark green and the 3 cars that go with it..2 Pullman passenger cars and a Pullman observation car..I also have all the track and transformer...The trains are in overall good shape (No missing pieces, dents, heavy scrapes or damage) although the paint is scraped off in spots from them just being stored together in the same box for 70 years..The wiring is complete but looks pretty brittle and dried up..I seem to recall these trains running when I was a kid myself which would have been in the early-mid-60`s...I've seen a few sets on Ebay and they don`t seem to be really high dollar value so I am curious about what all is involved in re-conditioning something like this to a newer looking but as close to original state as possible?...I`ve seen "restored" engines and cars on Ebay so I know people do it..Are there people who specialize in this?..I would more want to restore them as a keep sake from my mom than to turn around and resell them..Any info is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Sara Brown

Geezer