train oders

See how to make an operating (I wish) train order rack and how to use it. If I could get the engineer to stick his arm out the window and grab it on the fly, I would. See my compromise at;

Phil Anderson

Reply to
azrock

On 2/21/2008 1:45 PM azrock spake thus:

Shoot; and here I thought you were going to tell us how to make a module that would emit real train orders (wood, coal or oil smoke for steam, diesel exhaust, or ozone for electrics).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Been done years ago, as I recall. Think the company was Olfactory Airs or something similar. They offered bottles of scents that had a railroady theme. You put the scents on a scrap of material and placed it near whatever it was you wanted to smell a particular way... i.e., creosote near a timber trestle or your track work.

On a totally OT note, remember scratch 'n' sniff inserts in magazines?

Claude Allen

Reply to
Claude H. Allen

Hmmmm - was that in the Athearn catalog? The Lil' Hustler? Or the other Hustler?

Reply to
Steve Caple

"Steve Caple" wrote

I understand the first magazine to feature a scratch-and-sniff insert was a limited-edition publication intended strictly for our WWI doughboys.

It was entitled "Oder There".

Reply to
P. Roehling

The lucky among those guys were getting OJT and didn't need scratch and sniff centerfolds.

Reply to
Steve Caple

"Steve Caple" wrote

"OJT"?

Reply to
P. Roehling

On-the-job training. After all, wasn't one of our more decorated units called "The Fighting 69th"?

Reply to
Steve Caple

"Steve Caple" wrote

Well, if you're still speaking of the First World War, not really.

By the time WWI rolled around, the "fighting 69th" had become the 165th Infantry.

Isn't Google wonderful?

Reply to
P. Roehling

You gonna believe what some Army bureaucrat came up with, or Jimmy Cagney and Pat O'Brien?

Steve Caple

"Steve Caple" wrote

Yes, I know. ;-)

But living in southern California as I do, and having worked in the entertainment industry, I'm also aware that movies are not (gasp) actual history. (Unless they're labeled "documentaries", in which case nobody saw them anyway.)

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

How about "Docu-dramas??? Huh, huh? ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

The word "docu-drama" is properly pronounced "fiction".

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling