Lionel O versus O27 Gauge Track

Folks --
I have 4 sets of O scale (possibly O27) Lionel trains mostly from the 60s and 70s. I would like to replace my track. I'm confused and want
to make sure that I get the correct track. Based on the research I have found the difference between O and O27 track is the tightness of the curves (O27 making a cirle in 27" versus 31" at the smallest for O). I have some longer than normal cars - such as a car carrier - so I'm assuming I should get O gauge track and not O27. Any thing else I should explore?
Thanks! Ed
http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/MRPics

Ed, you can buy O42 dia track in the O27 profile(height) made by Lionel. Switches are also less expensive in O27 profile than O. Hope this helps a bit.
On 30 Nov 2003 16:30:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (NEVYEN) wrote:

Lionel also makes 054 diameter track in 0-27 profile...where wider curves are needed use Gargraves flexible track. Same height as the 0-27 profiles and adapter pins are readily available.
Ray Hobin NMRA Life # 1735; TCA # HR-78-12540; ARHS # 2421 Durham, NC [Where tobacco was king; now The City of Medicine]
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:55:57 -0500, Edmund Bedsworth wrote:
=>Folks -- => =>I have 4 sets of O scale (possibly O27) Lionel trains mostly from the =>60s and 70s. I would like to replace my track. I'm confused and want =>to make sure that I get the correct track. Based on the research I have =>found the difference between O and O27 track is the tightness of the =>curves (O27 making a cirle in 27" versus 31" at the smallest for O). I =>have some longer than normal cars - such as a car carrier - so I'm =>assuming I should get O gauge track and not O27. Any thing else I =>should explore? => =>Thanks! =>Ed =>
You're confused because of Lionel's wierd naming of parts. The gauge (distance between the rails) of Lionel track is all the same - 32mm or 1-1/4". Lionel used various names to denote the curve radii of their sectional track. Besides "O gauge" and "O-27" there's also "O-72", whose radius is 36" - still pretty tight for O scale size stuff, actually. O-72 is also heavier, better built track, than the old O-27.
Investigate Gargraves track. It accepts all Lionel equipment very well, and since it includes curvable track, you can use any radius you like. As a general rule, use the largest possible radius for curves - the bigger the circle, the better your equipment will run. Gragraves looks, good too - it has wooden ties spaced like the real thing.
HTH
Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor) <just one w and plain ca for correct address>
message

<snip>
Ed,
If you're starting with no track, I suggest you take a serious look at the Atlas-O track system. Curves run from O27 out to O99 in consistent 9" increments. Straights are available in 10" and 40" rigid sections, and there is a 40" flex-track section. And the switches are a thing of beauty compared to 'traditional' 3-rail track.
Check out their web site at http://www.atlaso.com for the complete list of what's available.
-- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum
Ed..
The finest 3 rail O Gauge track on the market today is
made by Atlas O... They have 7 or 8 different diameters
from O-35 to O-99... O-99 = 99" Diameter, Only your pocket book will notice..
Their switch options are numerous too...
For bargain priced three rail O-27 style track...
K-Line Co has 027 sized 'Lionel' track in many of the larger diameters.. all the way to O-120 Their switch selection is more limited...
Edmund Bedsworth wrote:

Hello - Take a look at but it will be too expensive!<G>
http://www.tcamembers.org/articles/operating/supero/index.html
Best, Mike
HSpanier wrote:

photo caption: "Lionel's Super-O switches looked good . . ."
" . . . but were often problematic"
Problematic? They couldn't fit a reliable mechanism into that huge glob of plastic!!!??
Makes Thomas and Friends look attractive. At least they're whimsical.
--
Steve Caple

Site Timeline