Re: Atlas O gauge Track Radius

"Patrick Pellowski" wrote in
message
news:cZLld.19124$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
I have a dumb question, but no one seems to know the answer.
What is the
radius (out-side rail to out-side rail) of the Atlas 027 track?
I want to
replace my Lionel 027 track with something a little more
realistic.

Pat,
Atlas-O specifies their 3-rail curve sizes the same way 2-railers
do, center-rail to center-rail. This is different than most
tin-plate track where the diameter is specified from outside tie
edge to opposite outside tie edge.
A quick rule-of-thumb is add 1-1/4" to the Atlas-O size to get
the "tinplate" measurement. So Atlas-O O27 curves would actually
be O28-1/4 using the tinplace specification method.
--
Len
Head Rust Scraper
KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum
Reply to
Len
I would recommend that you consider a larger diameter than 027. With 027 curves you are severly limited as to what you can operate. The new Lionel Fastrack starts at 036 and goes up from there. If you want to use Atlas they start at 036 as well.
Reply to
TRAINMAN9
With 027 curves
Lionel Fastrack
they start at
Actually, Atlas-0 track starts with O27 and goes out to O99 in 9 inch increments. So the entire range of curves available with Atlas-O is:
O27, O36, O45, O54, O63, O72, O81, O90, O99, and flex-track for anything inbetween.
Also, Atlas-O measures their diameter center-rail to opposite center-rail, rather than outside tie edge to outside tie edge like other brands.
So you actually have to add 1-1/4" to the Atlas-O designation when comparing it to other tracks. E.g., Atlas-O O27 would actually be O28-1/4 using the other brands method. Which is pretty close to the other folks O31 curves. -- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum
Reply to
Len
Atlas makes flex track in 40" sections, which you can easily bend to conform to any radius on your existing track plan, plus the fewer gaps/rail joiners the better the electrical continuity.
Randy
Reply to
8VA FFF
You are right. I did not mention Atlas 027 since it was a given that it existed. However I stand by my original reply that to continue with 027 severely limits what engines and rolling stock can be operated. The basic rule seems to be that you should use as large a diameter curve that is possible given the space you have for a layout. If this is simply for a loop around the Christmas tree to operate a starter set then by all means stay with 027.
Reply to
TRAINMAN9