Lionel Track

How do I dtermine the type of prewar track I have?

Thanks

Reply to
John Smith Jones

Track is one of the less documented areas in Toy train collecting. I don't know of a site that identifies the track made by the various tinplate manufacturers, and the evolution of the track in each product line. If you provide the following information, I may be able to help identify what you have: What is the length of the straight and curved sections? How many curve sections complete a circle and what is the outside diameter of the completed circle? What is the color of the rail and the ties? (Are the ties blackened or the same as the rail? Is the rail bright nickel, dull gray, oxidized to a greenish brown, etc.?) What is the shape of the connecting pins? (Rounded or pointed end? With groove or not?), where are they installed (3 at one end, or 1 at one end and

2 at the other?), and how are the anchored to the rail? (Single or double crimp on the side of the rail head, tab squeezed in rail web, etc.?) What is the shape of the ties? (Level or sloped top? Open or closed ends? Height of tie?) What does the tab holding the rail to the tie look like? (How many ridges in the crimp? Is the center rail tab smooth or does it have crimp ridges like the running rails?) And most obviously, is a name embossed on stamped in the rail web or tie? Geezer
Reply to
Geezer