Atlas N Gauge Curved Track Sections

I have a few each of boxes containing six pieces of Atlas curved N Gauge track.

Some of the boxes are marked

"Atlas 6-Sections 9 1/4" Radius Track #2510".

The others are marked

"Atlas 6-Sections 11" Radius Track #2520".

It looks like 3 sections of either the 9 1/4" Radius Track, or 3 sections of the 11" Radius Track form a quarter circle, but maybe not quite.

Does anyone know if these sections are made so that 12 sections is a complete circle?

If it matters, these tracks were bought probably in the early 1980's.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe, Atlas n scale snap-track is listed at:

Its been so long since I've messed with the sectional track, I don't remember whether it requires 12 or 16 pieces to form a circle. Just join three ( or six) sections together and see what you get.

Try to avoid the 9 3/4" stuff if you can; it'll cause problems with 6 axle diesels and long freight and passenger cars.

fl@liner

Reply to
fubar

On the atlas site code 80 curved sections are listed as requiring 12 sections to complete a circle except for the 19 inch radius which requires 24 sections. The code 55 is listed as requiring 16 sections to complete a circle, except for 30.609" radius, which requires 32 sections, and 71" radius, which requires 44 sections and a 4 1/4" straight.

A table is at the bottom of the track FAQs page:

RobertVA

Thank you Robert and fl@liner, that answered my question. And, yes, where I wrote 9 1/4", I should have written 9 3/4".

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

I don't mess with N scale or sectional track, but THAT'S interesting, in a geometric sense.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Reply to
prioritycharge

With long freight and passenger cars yes.

However, I have some very tight radius N scale track from Europe (about

7.5 inch radius) and my 0-6-0 steam locomotives operate on it just fine. I can't see how the 6 axle diesel trucks would have trouble on this since they have an even shorter wheelbase than my steam 0-6-0s.
Reply to
gl4316

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@69-30-8-187.pxd.easystreet.com:

Your 0-6-0 has a lot more room to pivot than your 6 axle diesels. The two trucks will only move so far before they can't take the curve any more.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper