Goodby To This Newsgroup - Thanks For Decades Of Good Stuff

Group,

Thanks for all the help, sharing and our hobby fellowship that I have enjoyed in this group for over twenty years.For those of you who are left, my best and finest gratitude to you.

As others have written, this group has been infested with unpleasant folks who have turned it into their personal, vile insult fest. No longer fun to visit here.

Bye Bye, and Thanks!

Robert B

Reply to
Robert B

Well, I can certainly understand. But like most everything else, this too shall pass. r.m.r has gone through a lot over the years, and this is only the latest bump in the road. So while we do have to deal with the "wild west" mentality from time to time, remember how free r.m.r is when compared to the Atlas Forum (who recently wouldn't let folks talk about anything new that wasn't either out, in a print ad, or posted by a representative of the company), the Model Railroader Forum (who actually deleted one of my posts and the entire thread when I complained about the removal of train show listings in MR...my offense was when I posted, "Thanks for nothing, Kalmbach!" You'd a thought I'd insulted their mother...), and any other web forum where the multitude of moderators have a god complex (see: railroad.net). And I also can't forget the Aristo web forum or the Bach-man forum where even the discussion of non-company products is verboten. r.m.r may have trolls, but it also doesn't have corporate censorship. And it's getting harder and harder to find places where one can safely critize any hobby business. My advice is to take a long break, and then come back and visit in 6 months or so. r.m.r will still be here.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* What have you done to save r.m.r today? *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Guess who won.

euphemism

The terrorists?

Reply to
brad

As an amateur stargazer (in additiion to model railroader), I've enjoyed a binaries newsgroup for some time for posting astronomy-related photos. A posting protocol was created so that one could avoid all of the garbage that seems to automatically get posted, cross-posted, and automated-posted to binary newsgroups. That protocol was to use the word ASTRO as the beginning word in the subject line. That way, it is easy to create a filter that only allows true ASTRO postings to come through.

Perhaps we should consider such a protocol, or convention, here. All true model RR postings could begin with a simple word (such as, RAILROAD). Sure, it would take awhile for the word to get out, and, yes, it would require a periodic posting to alert newbies to the protocol, but it might be worth it to save the newsgroup.

And I understand that it wouldn't help eliminate a good share of the trolls actually lurk and pounce (as I'm sure they will after this posting).

Just a thought.

-------------------------------------------- Never criticize another until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.

For email reply, try jwudgy at tds dot net and you'll get through.

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

snipped-for-privacy@SooLineFan.Net spake thus:

That's assuming the trolls are too stupid to follow the same convention, which, unfortunately, isn't true.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hmm... Not a bad idea. Most groups use the group initials, however (see my topic header).

Paul A. Cutler III

************* What have you done to save r.m.r today? *************
Reply to
Pac Man

How would that stop all the trolls and morons that reply to them? They would just put [RMR] in their headers, also, wouldn't they?

Reply to
The Seabat

The Seabat spake thus:

Well, duh! (Read my post just a little up yonder.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I asked a poster why he didn't use a Bachmann DDA40AX instead of a Athearn DD40A to build a DDA40AX. I received a condescending and insulting response about how the list had higher standards of modeling.

When I posted pictures and proved that his lauded model was very inaccurate for the prototype I got thrown off a list by a scumbag moderator because of it.

I hope I run across the scumbag at a con.

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:22:39 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

So, in order to prove your point, you trolled RMR? Well done, David. That'll show 'em!

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Robert

There are a lot of railroad groups on the 'Net. Do a Google search for model railroad forums or similar words. Yahoo Groups has quite a few. Most are moderated and subject specific such as DCC, different DCC systems, US Civil War, Early Rail, etc. Below are some groups. Some have who appear to be teens with dumb questions but if you grew up as a child, you know what I mean. At least they are not like some in this group.

this has been your only group, your are limiting your knowledge. The 'Net is loaded with model/prototype information. If this is your only social contact, then it can be difficult.

Cheers

gagnonrchrd

I never saw you post anything noteworthy here in the first place pleasant or not?

Reply to
markmathus

Paul, what exactly do you do with RMR? You must be lurking to respond to anyone leaving, yet you never post anything so what is your point of being here?

And I would have deleted that posting on MR Forum too. You were asking for it with that comment.

Reply to
markmathus

This would never work. Who decides what is real or not and what is to stop the trolls from just writing 'railroad'?

Reply to
markmathus

What e-mail list was that?

Paul A. Cutler III

************* What have you done to save r.m.r today? *************
Reply to
Pac Man

While it wouldn't stop careful trolls, it would be helpful against spam. And not just UCE spam, but also the original definition, which was any group posting to more than three groups. I don't know if you noticed, but our resident troll has, when trying to get under people's skin, added a bunch of groups to the reply field...usually to other groups full of morons who can't resist responding to trolls, too. If we added [RMR] to the header, then perhaps it may reduce some of the cross traffic with other groups because it would be even more obvious that a discussion from another group has bled over. You are correct that adding an [RMR] tag wouldn't stop trolls, but it will stop people from seeing UCE spam and perhaps reduce cross posting spam. Not bad for three little letters... Oh, and not that I think it'll catch on here, BTW. If you can find the r.m.r FAQ, we are supposed to but scale tags on our posts, too. But when was the last time someone put [HO] or [N] in a topic header?

Paul A. Cutler III

************* What have you done to save r.m.r today? *************
Reply to
Pac Man

say sono spiacente troll!

Reply to
JeanneDArc~

Great idea for filtering out those unwanted newcomers and the occasional spam while letting in the determined trolls.

Reply to
Dave Fossett

I never said it was perfect. :-p