Curved Points

I have been planning a layout for my loft with no 2 and no 3 radius curves and was intending to put some curved points in the layout aswell. Although the layout will be predominantly British I do also want some American and German engines. The Bachmann 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain is not recommended to run on less than 22in radius curves so I will have to reconsider my plan. Peco and Hornby only do no 2 to no 3 curved turnouts ( Peco also do a very large radius curved turnout) so I am a bit stuck. I see from the Walthers catalogue that the American manufacturers seem to do a larger range of curved turnouts. I could presumably order these from the likes of Model Motors but can I assume that they would be interchangeable with Peco or Hornby track. Alternatively are there any other UK manufactures that I don't know of? Would the only problem of running engines on tighter than recommended curves be derailment or are there any other considerations?

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rayner

In message , Kevin Rayner writes

There are other considerations, i.e. they look very silly on tight curves.

Reply to
John Sullivan

I have curved turnouts on my layout to save space, but I'd stay away from the Hornby ones. The Peco Streamline ones are a larger radius than the Setrack (which are 2nd radius - 17.25"). You might also want to consider a low profile rail (Code 83 or 75) for a better appearance - in HO a Code 100 rail is 8.7 scale inches high. There was a Track Buyer's Guide in October Model Railroader comparing different makes of track. Curved turnouts are produced by Walthers (USA), Shinohara (Japan) and Fleischmann, Roco and Tillig Pilz (Europe); I've no idea on prices. The alternative is to build your own.

Reply to
MartinS

As the Peco catalogue was ambiguous as to the radius of the set-track curved turnout, I held one against the set track curves in the model shop - the curves match 1st radius, definitely not 2nd radius.

Roco (used to) make a code 100 22" outer radius turnout. I have 6 of these on my helix as crossovers - they work very well.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Old (discontinued) Peco are 1st radius. Current (for about 2 years) Peco are 2nd radius, same as Hornby. Both tie in with a track spacing of 68mm

Reply to
MartinS

Bother - would have used second radius! Time to buy a new catalogue.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Atlas points would be compatible with Peco, but Walthers are code 83 and will not.

Shinohara make a code 100 range but these are a different rail section, and you would need to adjust the railjoiners. They are also LIVE frog, and need wiring up. All US turnouts are numbered 4, 6, 8 etc. This is not the same as Hornby no 2 etc, but gives the ratio of the turnout angle. It is a much more accurate desription than Peco and Hornby's radius which is completely in accurate. try getting a 15" radius point into a 15" radius circle.

Reply to
Bernard Victor

I don't have problems fitting Hornby or Peco Settrack points into a circle (but they don't make 15" radius!). Atlas make both Code 100 and 83 - their Custom-Line items fulfill a similar function to Peco Streamline (Code 100 & 75). Likewise, Atlas Snap-track and Peco Settrack provide fixed radius curves & turnouts.

Atlas are currently upgrading their Code 100 Snap-track and Flex-track components with finer sleepers/ties and rail fasteners. I haven't seen any new turnouts, but the older ones are of inferior construction and appearance to Peco, and don't have the over-centre spring feature (which can be added if desired with a piece of paper clip wire, as shown in Oct. Model Railroader). I find Atlas flextrack easier to lay than Peco, as one rail is fixed to the base and maintains a constant tie spacing on both curves and straights; ties have pre-drilled holes too.

October Model Railroader has, besides an HO track buyer's guide, a useful Workbench Guide supplement on track construction, soldering, adhesives, etc. I've seen it available separately for $1.00.

Reply to
MartinS

I've been looking for some really smoothe points as an alternative to Peco Streamline for a high speed mainline junction.

Found the Shinohara details on ScaleLink's web site

A deep breath on the prices, but I think I'll go for some eventually. A recent email said they had them in stock.

David

Reply to
David N

The prices look pretty good to me. One other point, they are to NMRA spec, so are equal to Fine scale turnouts. OK if you are running strictly up-todate equipment but not so good if you have any earlier pre-NEM stock. Bachmann are all OK as far as I know, but Lima might not all work. New Hornby O.K> but older Hornby might not work without some modifications to the turnouts.

Reply to
Bernard Victor