00 Track Spacing

According to my Hornby catalogue, the spacing between track centres is

67mm. This struck me as a little wide but suppose it is the recommendation. On the club layout I have just joined the spacing is 62mm and even closer in the sidings, only 50mm. What spacing do most people use on double track?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rayner

My prototype used 3750mm = 43mm in HO. I actually use 50.8mm on sharp curves and then taper down to 45mm on straight sections.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Hornby and Peco Setrack curves are made in radii of 371, 438 and 495mm, and all their turnouts and crossings are designed to fit with these. I expect the reason is to allow the longest coaches and locos to pass on curves without fouling each other. Recent Hornby Superdetail locos and longer coaches are not recommended for use on 371mm first radius. If you are using flextrack and/or (e.g.) Peco Streamline, use whatever spacing you can get away with considering the tightness of your curves and the overhang of your rolling stock. On the 00 layout I am building, I use

51mm on straights and at least 54mm on curves; my longest loco is a Duchess and my longest coaches are the older Hornby Pullmans.
Reply to
MartinS

I read somewhere that prototype track spacing was 11 ft 2 in between centres, which is 3357mm = 45mm in 4mm/1ft scale.

Peco Streamline points and crossings give a double-track spacing of

52mm.
Reply to
John Sullivan

Correct, for standard UK double track.

Ditto except I widen out as needed not to 50.8. And your curves would probably been seen as generous by many, those with Mk3s on 2ft radius will have to widen out more than that. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove