Minimum Recommended Radius

I am designing a layout with 22in and 24in radius because the recommended minimum for a US 4-8-2 was 22in. However I am having extreme difficulty designing a fiddle area as the 22in minimum doesn't give me enough room for a fiddle area. Could I get away with set track, R2 or R3, for just the fiddle area and expect 4-8-2's, 4-8-4's & 2-10-0's to negotiate it. As a fall back I could use the fiddle area for diesels. multiple units and smaller steam engines and accept not running larger engines into the fiddle area.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Most models are designed to rush around 18" or even 15" radii. If you stick with R2 or greater and allow lots of room for overhang you should be ok. Check the manufacturers catalogues for individual loco's minimum radius, but mainstream brands almost certainly all go around 18".

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter