Source for Coreless motors.

Does anyone have a source for coreless motors to purchase in one off quantities. I've managed to exist over the years on Portescap RG4s
and some small Faulhaber 1524s which were given to me, but I'm now looking for a larger design of motor to put in a 7mm model.
I've dug around the web, but most sources seem to be more interested in OEMs looking for hundreds, not me looking for one now, and maybe another one in two years time :-)
Jim.
Jim Guthrie wrote:

Have you tried Branchlines in Exeter ? He has the smaller Faulhaber 816/1016/1216 models (which is about as big as my interests go).
- Nigel
--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk /
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a web site so I can't do any online searching. But I'm due to take a drive down to South Devon some time soon to check out some dimensions on a Class 20 at Buckfastleigh to correct a 7mm etched kit, and I might take the opportunity to nip off the M5 and visit his shop.
Terry has also given me a nudge in the direction of RS who have a large range of Maxon motors and gearboxes. The prices are a bit more than comparable can motors, but not as much more as I expected.
Jim.
Jim Guthrie wrote:

Correct, no website. He advertises an email address, but I usually deal with him by telephone.
- Nigel
--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk /
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

What size motor are you looking for? I have one or two I am unlikely to use. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:27:44 +0000, Keith Norgrove
Keith,

I was looking for something like a 12 V, 5+ watt motor about 22 - 24mm diameter. It is to go in the body of a 7mm scale Class 20 with cardan shaft drive to the bogies - spur gear reduction at the motor and cross helical drive on the bogies.
Jim.

Jim, I have a Maxon 3250 which should do the job nicely, shaft one end only. Its just a bit big for the P4 diesels I had in mind.
Alternatively a Foulhaber 2234 but that looks a bit wimpy for a 7mm 20 and I may find a use for it yet.
Call off list on snipped-for-privacy@merg.org.uk if you want to follow up. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Jim
What sizes are you looking for?
Jim Guthrie wrote:

Try RS components. They won't be cheap and might be to big for 7mm scale.
--
Terry Flynn

For HO scale track standards go to
Terry Flynn wrote:-

Doesn't RS have a policy of not supplying hobbyists? I remember when they were called Radiospares it was strictly trade customers only and some parts I simply couldn't get anywhere else.
(kim)
On 03 Dec 2004 03:33:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (kim) wrote:
Kim,

They have a retail outlet called Electromail
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/diy-catalogues.html#Electromail
but their web site is the RS one and they suggest using the RS catalogue if you dont have an Electromail one :-)
I've got an RS account for my business, so I'm OK :-)
Jim.
(kim) wrote:

The significant section of that page is "Details last reviewed: 07-06-99". I don't think Electromail has existed for some time.
Just order direct from RS, they don't bite.
MBQ
On 3 Dec 2004 04:36:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MBQ) wrote:

I think you are correct. I remember an Electromail web site many years ago and when I couldn't find it, and saw the links to use the RS web site, then I reckoned RS had probably given in to dealing with everyone. :-)
Jim.
On 03/12/2004 13:00, Jim Guthrie wrote,

Oddly enough, I was talking to our friendly RS rep at work on Wednesday about this subject. "Electromail? That stopped years ago" But there is good news, sort of. The Trade Counters will take a credit card order, although they often like an official looking order form, and they might give you an account application form to take away with you, which you ignore. If you have an RS account at work, and the appropriate people approve, you can also use your company DPC as an account number, but pay by personal credit card. You will then not pay carriage either. I must emphasise that you need to clear this with your company accounts first for the use of their DPC in this way. However you do it, you will need to pay the VAT on top of the catalogue price.
The best bet is just to go into your local Trade Counter, if you have one, and ask them. They can only say no.
I ordered a nice 110 piece toolkit with the rep on Wednesday, and it arrived yesterday (Thursday) on a before-10 delivery, with FOC carriage!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

I always understood that the RS prices were always a tad higher than others since they included 'free' delivery on most of the catalogue items. I know I've never had to pay delivery on electronic items, but I have to confess I've never tried to negotiate a discount when I get stuff from a trade counter :-)
Jim.
On 03/12/2004 17:24, Jim Guthrie wrote,

This is something that is gradually changing. They are even getting competitive on some IT stuff!

I don't think you'll get far trying to haggle. Although their prices include "free" delivery, you can't knock it off if you collect it yourself!. I have a deal at work where I often buy a 58 power supply for 40, but that's a bit of a special deal. If you spend 100K a year you might get 5% discount, if that's any good to you!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

RS have always dealt with everyone. Or at least I've been dealing with them for 30 years now without ever having an account.
If you don't have an account the difference is:
a) you don't get free postage b) you don't get a free printed catalogue c) you have to pay at the time of ordering
Nowadays it's all on the web at http://rswww.com
Previous to that it was ordering by phone. Sometimes you got transferred to the Electromail office, sometimes not (before Electromail the non-account department was called Doram). Either way it was all the same stuff, using the same order codes, at the same prices, using the same customer number. No minimum quantity.
I think the use of the trade names Doram and Electromail was done so that they could advertise in the hobby electronics magazines without affecting their professional RS image. (Nowadays there are few hobby electronics magazines left to advertise in.)
I don't know where this myth that you need an account to deal with RS came from, but it's strangely prevalent in the model railway hobby. Presumably those who spread this misinformation haven't actually tried ordering from RS.
Friends have been amazed when I have said "just ring RS with your credit card" and have found the stuff they wanted on their doormat next morning.
regards,
Martin. -------------------------- email : snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web : http://www.templot.com
Martin Wynne wrote:-

My subscription to "Practical Television" magazine ran from 1967-1975 and during that entire period RS resolutely refused to accept orders from hobbyists like me. I had hoped to turn my hobby into a business but the unavailablity of certain spare parts made that impossible.
(kim)
Hi Kim,

Looks like we overlapped by just one year. I started in November 1974 and my first order to RS would have been early in 1975 - I remember using RS parts in products I was making in 1975. At that date before credit cards it was written orders with cheque to the Doram address. The actual Doram catalogue contained only a small part of the RS range, but if you ordered a stock number from the main RS catalogue from Doram it was sent without any problem.
All a long time ago now, and of no relevance to modellers wanting RS stuff today.
regards,
Martin. ---------------------------------- email : snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web : http://www.templot.com
On 04 Dec 2004 00:03:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (kim) wrote:
Kim,

That's the way I remember it as well. I remember being very happy at being able to open up an RS account when I started my own business in the 80s :-)
Jim.