Source for Coreless motors.

Does anyone have a source for coreless motors to purchase in one off quantities. I've managed to exist over the years on Portescap RG4s and some small Faulhaber 1524s which were given to me, but I'm now looking for a larger design of motor to put in a 7mm model.

I've dug around the web, but most sources seem to be more interested in OEMs looking for hundreds, not me looking for one now, and maybe another one in two years time :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Have you tried Branchlines in Exeter ? He has the smaller Faulhaber

816/1016/1216 models (which is about as big as my interests go).

- Nigel

Reply to
NC

Try RS components. They won't be cheap and might be to big for 7mm scale.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Terry Flynn wrote:-

Doesn't RS have a policy of not supplying hobbyists? I remember when they were called Radiospares it was strictly trade customers only and some parts I simply couldn't get anywhere else.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Kim,

They have a retail outlet called Electromail

but their web site is the RS one and they suggest using the RS catalogue if you dont have an Electromail one :-)

I've got an RS account for my business, so I'm OK :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Terry,

Thanks for the pointer - I didn't think of them when I should have. They seem to carry most, if not all, of the Maxon range, so there's a size for most scales. I am looking for a 22mm - 24mm diameter motor to go inside a 7mm scale diesel. The cost is about 30GBP including VAT.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Nigel,

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a web site so I can't do any online searching. But I'm due to take a drive down to South Devon some time soon to check out some dimensions on a Class 20 at Buckfastleigh to correct a 7mm etched kit, and I might take the opportunity to nip off the M5 and visit his shop.

Terry has also given me a nudge in the direction of RS who have a large range of Maxon motors and gearboxes. The prices are a bit more than comparable can motors, but not as much more as I expected.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Correct, no website. He advertises an email address, but I usually deal with him by telephone.

- Nigel

Reply to
NC

What size motor are you looking for? I have one or two I am unlikely to use. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

That was years ago!

RS will take orders from anyone but they charge nearly £5 postage for small orders. Farnell are almost invariably cheaper for the same or equivalent components.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

Keith,

I was looking for something like a 12 V, 5+ watt motor about 22 -

24mm diameter. It is to go in the body of a 7mm scale Class 20 with cardan shaft drive to the bogies - spur gear reduction at the motor and cross helical drive on the bogies.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

The significant section of that page is "Details last reviewed:

07-06-99". I don't think Electromail has existed for some time.

Just order direct from RS, they don't bite.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

I think you are correct. I remember an Electromail web site many years ago and when I couldn't find it, and saw the links to use the RS web site, then I reckoned RS had probably given in to dealing with everyone. :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

On 03/12/2004 13:00, Jim Guthrie wrote,

Oddly enough, I was talking to our friendly RS rep at work on Wednesday about this subject. "Electromail? That stopped years ago" But there is good news, sort of. The Trade Counters will take a credit card order, although they often like an official looking order form, and they might give you an account application form to take away with you, which you ignore. If you have an RS account at work, and the appropriate people approve, you can also use your company DPC as an account number, but pay by personal credit card. You will then not pay carriage either. I must emphasise that you need to clear this with your company accounts first for the use of their DPC in this way. However you do it, you will need to pay the VAT on top of the catalogue price.

The best bet is just to go into your local Trade Counter, if you have one, and ask them. They can only say no.

I ordered a nice 110 piece toolkit with the rep on Wednesday, and it arrived yesterday (Thursday) on a before-10 delivery, with FOC carriage!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Paul,

I always understood that the RS prices were always a tad higher than others since they included 'free' delivery on most of the catalogue items. I know I've never had to pay delivery on electronic items, but I have to confess I've never tried to negotiate a discount when I get stuff from a trade counter :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

On 03/12/2004 17:24, Jim Guthrie wrote,

This is something that is gradually changing. They are even getting competitive on some IT stuff!

I don't think you'll get far trying to haggle. Although their prices include "free" delivery, you can't knock it off if you collect it yourself!. I have a deal at work where I often buy a £58 power supply for £40, but that's a bit of a special deal. If you spend £100K a year you might get 5% discount, if that's any good to you!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Jim

What sizes are you look>

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Jim, I have a Maxon 3250 which should do the job nicely, shaft one end only. Its just a bit big for the P4 diesels I had in mind.

Alternatively a Foulhaber 2234 but that looks a bit wimpy for a 7mm 20 and I may find a use for it yet.

Call off list on snipped-for-privacy@merg.org.uk if you want to follow up. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Hi Jim,

RS have always dealt with everyone. Or at least I've been dealing with them for 30 years now without ever having an account.

If you don't have an account the difference is:

a) you don't get free postage b) you don't get a free printed catalogue c) you have to pay at the time of ordering

Nowadays it's all on the web at

Previous to that it was ordering by phone. Sometimes you got transferred to the Electromail office, sometimes not (before Electromail the non-account department was called Doram). Either way it was all the same stuff, using the same order codes, at the same prices, using the same customer number. No minimum quantity.

I think the use of the trade names Doram and Electromail was done so that they could advertise in the hobby electronics magazines without affecting their professional RS image. (Nowadays there are few hobby electronics magazines left to advertise in.)

I don't know where this myth that you need an account to deal with RS came from, but it's strangely prevalent in the model railway hobby. Presumably those who spread this misinformation haven't actually tried ordering from RS.

Friends have been amazed when I have said "just ring RS with your credit card" and have found the stuff they wanted on their doormat next morning.

regards,

Martin.

-------------------------- email : snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web :

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:-

My subscription to "Practical Television" magazine ran from 1967-1975 and during that entire period RS resolutely refused to accept orders from hobbyists like me. I had hoped to turn my hobby into a business but the unavailablity of certain spare parts made that impossible.

(kim)

Reply to
kim