Weld Measuring Gauge- Navy calls it PN-7...

Howdy, all! I'm looking for info on a guage used by the naval shipyards- we call it a PN-7 guage, but I cannot find any on-line. It looks very much like a combination square, but is ruled down both legs. It's typically used to measure piping / socket welds (T x 2T).

Can anyone point me to a website or tell me the proper nomenclature for such a beast? I've searched all through L.S. Starrett's website looking for one, now I'm asking for help!

I want to purchase one, but this is proving to be elusive....

Thank you!

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Is it this one?

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Perhaps one of these:

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Nice, but that's not it- the one I'm thinking of looks like a combo square- both legs (90 deg. angle) are ruled (1/64" scale), each leg is about 3 inches long. There is a knurled nut on top, and the horizontal leg slides.

Thanks- I might look at getting one of those GAL gauges if I have enough pipe work...

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Thanks, Shawn! Unfortunately, none of these is what I need. Please see my reply to Grant Erwin for more info on this elusive beast.

Thank you!

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Last chance :)

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

I guess it is none of these either

Without a picture or a manufacturer it is really tough. A lot of these obscure widget makers have no web presence so google does no good.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I guess I'll have to get a copy of the picture somehow- I truly appreciate all the suggestions, and I've bookmarked the sites for future reference.

I am also blown away by the prices on these little dooderhickies! I would have thought that with modern mass production capabilities, prices wouldn't be in the triple digit range.

My hat's off to all who tried- Thank you!

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Pipefitters square?

Denis G.

Looks expensive!

But if it does magic like it says - might be worth the cost.

A normal framing square has so much on it most don't know how to read it. Framers do. It has been in high volume for years.

This might be as it says. We need pipe fitting or pipe welders for the facts !

Mart> Pipefitters square?

Martin H. Eastburn

Hi Tin

If I get a chance I'll call the welding engineer at the place where you work and see what he knows.

Meanwhile, you hit the nail on the head with the cost issue. Trouble is, if you produced them by the millions, they'd be cheap. But they're sold by the piece to very few people.

The one you're looking for might even have been produced by your shop. We're currently using a neat little gage for measuring pipe welds that a major shipyard had a local fabricator make. (They make great table saw adjusters too.) Our structural gages were made by our shop for a long time. Now they're made by a local fabricator and are still cheaper than the GAL gages that they kind of look like.

John Gullotti