Source for Coreless motors.

Hi Kim,

Looks like we overlapped by just one year. I started in November 1974 and my first order to RS would have been early in 1975 - I remember using RS parts in products I was making in 1975. At that date before credit cards it was written orders with cheque to the Doram address. The actual Doram catalogue contained only a small part of the RS range, but if you ordered a stock number from the main RS catalogue from Doram it was sent without any problem.

All a long time ago now, and of no relevance to modellers wanting RS stuff today.

regards,

Martin.

---------------------------------- email : snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web :

Martin Wynne

Kim,

That's the way I remember it as well. I remember being very happy at being able to open up an RS account when I started my own business in the 80s :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Certainly from the time that RS Components was born out of Radiospares over 30 years ago it was impossible to get them to supply anyone without an account. They even carried out checks on your address to see if it was a house! If it was it was sorry, we cannot supply you.

The change of heart came about probably as a result of the need to take in business from anywhere - and counter the fact that Farnell would, unofficially, take your order with a credit card over the phone even if you were a private individual - so they formed Electromail. Electromail eventually became the only option if you were a small business and not spending megabucks with them. Then you no longer got the local rep knocking on the door regularly and probably had to buy the catalogue. Now that has gone and anyone can buy from their website - if you have the patience, perseverance and unlimited free phone time to complete an order.

Personally, I use CPC for as much as I can. Maplin have so drastically reduced their range of useful components that they are a joke.

Mart>

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Hi Jim,

You could have tried Doram. Here's a fascinating page for readers of old electronics mags:

traded as the amateur's offshoot of RS Components Ltd, but was later closed down."

My recollection is that there was no break between Doram closing (using its own catalogue) and Electromail starting (using a reprint of the RS catalogue). Certainly I was ordering RS stuff throughout the 80s without having an account, so I must have been getting it from somewhere!