Re: Gears and such

One place that comes to mind is Winfred M Berg. They have a wide range of small, precision driveline components including gears, plastic chains and sprockets, shafts etc. I haven't looked to see if they have a website.

Glen

Hi. Are there any other good sources for gears other then NW Short Line; I > have nothing against NWSL, but I am just curious what else is out there. Also, > for HO small loco cylindars, any good sources on these for kit mangling. Thank > you. John Hudson.
Reply to
Glen Smith

Other sources you might look at include Portescap coreless/brushless DC motors at:

Another source for motors (and possibly gears, my German isn't that good), is:

If you search for Faulhaber in Google it gives a translation option.

Plus I've posted another thread about Faulhaber and speed for model loco's as well.

Steve Newcastle Oz

Reply to
trompui

Look at:

KTØT

GrantLine has some gearing stuff for various locos. It tends to be in plastic tho and thus only for lightweight stuff. Some of the importers have brought in various components for their locos and Precision Scale is probably the best place for that stuff. After that, perusing the swapmeet tables for the odd stuff always helps.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Steve,

Save yourself from Internet translation services and look here :-)

...with PDF downloads in English for products.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Thanks for your help. John Hudson.

Reply to
HICJHH

Berg (516-596-1700) is a good source. Also Stock Drive Components (516-328-3300). Both are expensive, compared to NWSL. There's also Boston Gear.

However, the lines if instrument gears they carry often are not suitable for many model railroad purposes without modification (read LATHE). Such gears rarely have the same pitch (mostly 72 dp) and helix angles common on model RR gears. The instrument gears mostly are wider and have large hubs, and are intended for use on larger shafts than we often use in the hobby (bushings may be necessary). Such gears are usually either held to their shafts with cross pins (straight or tapered), or special clamps (like small collets ... we rarely have the space for these). Not to say such components can't be used, especially in the larger scales, but cost and likely modification are issues.

Same goes for their lines of small cogged belts and sprockets. Most are too stiff (steel reinforced belts) for our low power applications. Application would be more suited to the larger scales.

One thing of interest is 'pinion wire'. This is brass or steel rod extruded or cut to a gear shape, with numbers of teeth from about six to

20 or so. You buy it by the foot. You just slice off wafers to make gears. You also need to bore a hole for the shaft. Again, it's lathe work.

For model RR purposes, NWSL are hard to beat. They'll even custom cut gears (for a fee of course) for non standard applications and exact replacement.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Glen Smith wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

There are many reasonable costed gears and gearboxes available outside of the US. Try UK, NZ, and AU sites. Doesn't make much sense to buy out of the country unless you buy a bunch as postage can east up any savings. However if you wish to buy $100-$200 worth of materials you might want to research these sources.

Reply to
Jon Miller