Speed records for HO trains.

I don't know exactly where to post this. I stumbled on it while looking for gears/motors. If you go to:

Then click on "Produkte", the "Applikationen", then scroll half way down, you will see an award to Faulbaber for the world's fastest (I think, I'm not that up on German) HO locomotive. It clocked 97.48 kph, roughly 60 mph. That's a scale 5,220 mph.

What does a sonic boom sound like in HO???

Anyway, to the main point. There must be a plethora of Athearn Hustlers out there that easily exceed this figure. Let's see the record challenged. American engineering pride is at stake here!!

Steve Newcastle NSW Oz

Reply to
trompui

Faulhaber make very high quality coreless motors. I would guess that the winner built a locomotive using one.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I tried doing the same thing, but the blamed thing keeps leaving the rails! It was in honor of a local member of the modular club who runs his Big Boy, Challenger, and GG-1 flat-out.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I rebuilt a Hornby 0-4-0T with a left-over high performance slot car motor for a Convention scale quarter mile drag race - achieved just under 6 seconds - beaten by someone who used rubber wheels running on the the sleeper base. (which wasn't covered in the rules :-( )

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Even loop-the-loop formations are practical.

My loco even managed a barrel roll during testing when I left a crossover wrongly set - five feet down to the concrete floor! Luckily, being lightweight, the loco just bounced!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

At one exhibition, we set up a big double track dog-bone scenic layout. The German ICE train was fairly new and we had the first available model of it. We had been wondering what the model's maximum speed was so I decided to let it wind out. Crowd reaction was amazing - the layout was suddenly surrounded! (The local modellers are used to me running old-timers at scale speeds so I got a few comments and chiding.) The prototype had just achieved 405km/hr (252mph?) and I managed to work the model up (6' diameter end curves seem very small) to about 300+ scale km/hr. As soon as the speed run ended, the crowds wandered off. I repeated the performance 4 or 5 times over the weekend and the viewers repeated their part every time!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Double track, just like real drag races. Timing wasn't very accurate, just a sports stop watch. I wrote a qbasic program with christmas tree lights and IR timing beams the following year.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I contend that the Athearn Hustler was a slowpoke compared to the Atlas ( I believe) propeller driven "Thingy". Not much acceleration but when properly adjusted it was a rocket! Had a good low CG so it tracked quite well.

Alas, the last one I had launched itself and bent the propellor shaft. :>(

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

Hmmmmm, speed. This weekend, Tech TV was showing the 1/1O th scale RC car that currently holds the land speed record, according to Guinness.

111 REAL mph. Now, all we need is the motor like it had, stuff it into a HO F-unit with the right gears, a mile or two of straight flextrack, and plenty of power packs along the way to keep the voltage steady,,,,,,,Might work, might melt down,,

KarlB

Reply to
Karl Bond