Re: post if you know, don't post if you don't

Cliff wrote:

Maybe we comp.cad.solidworks people have lives. <G> But if I personally have something to say, I'm just as likely to say it on the weekend than on a "work day". Of course, since I'm a freelancer EVERY day is a work day . . . when I have work.
Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC http://www.h2omarkdesign.com

Interesting point. I wonder if part of it is the different attitudes of the bosses. I would guess that the bosses in CAM shops have more of a "shop" or "hourly" attitude and are always on the lookout, expecting that people will screw off if their noses aren't held to the grindstone. Bosses in CAD shops see their employees more as engineers, more professional, and expect them to manage their own time. The CAM people read and post from home, knowing their bosses won't look kindly on them "wasting" time. The CAD people think of reading and posting as part of their job, keeping their edge.
The above is obviously a very big generalization. Lots of engineers get treated in a very "hourly" fashion and I would hope that at least some guys on the cutting floor get treated as the professionals they are. Also, lots of people running SolidWorks are drafters/designers who get paid, and often treated, in an "hourly" way, no matter how professional they are.

Have you ever worked on the shop floor?
Regards,
Robin

No. If you'd ever seen me working on a mill or a lathe you wouldn't even ask! I'm from the SolidWorks side, not the CNC side.
You'll notice that I said "I hope" that some people in some shops get treated as professionals. I've seen lots of very good shop people treated like children, not professionals. (I also have to admit that I've seen shop workers behave like naughty kids, but it seems to me that they were reacting in anger to the shabby way they were treated and would have behaved in a professional manner if given the chance.)

Indeed I did notice what you wrote. What was implying (and now explicitly stating) was that perhaps you need more experience to make such wild generalizations.
Regards,
Robin

I'd have to agree with Jerry having worked both sides. the shop floor is a more "hourly type" environment with the bosses keeping their eyes on all the workers. In the Design side I can come and go as I like just as long as the work gets done no one really looking over my shoulder
Cheers Dennis
I guess we agree on one thing. That we don't understand each other. I certainly don't understand you.
Doesn't that chip get heavy after a while?
The one your shoulder, that is.
jk

which
who
the
things
specific

The only chip has to do with people making generalizations (in any subject) without the knowledge or experience to back them up. I know that while I may detect a condescending tone, it probably was not intentional and should not be considered.
Now, upon further thought, I can see where you might see managers paying more attention to the guys on the floor. At work, frequently the leadhands and supervisors will be working along side the toolmakers or trying to co-ordinate time on a press or machine, or whatever. This doesn't mean we are being mistreated, rather many decisions that affect multiple teams must be made efficiently.
I suppose each shop (and workplace, irrespective of industry) is different.
Regards,
Robin

different.
And then there's Canadiens

Yes, that's right. After watching American Chopper and American Hotrod, I'm starting to wonder how you guys get any work done down there ;-)
Regards,
Robin
Please don't mistake TV for reality, especially reality TV.

subject)
may
not
I plead guilty to making generalizations without a lot of knowledge. I've never worked in a shop.
I definitely did not intend any kind of condescending tone. I've been working closely with model makers, machinists, mold makers and tool and die makers for more than 30 years. I'm well aware of how much my success depends on their abilities and really enjoy working with good people.