Pro/E is first, SolidWorks is 6th

According to a recent press release hosted on TenLinks.com, Pro/ENGINEER has the most seats worldwide while SolidWorks is 6th. This is from a MCAD study
done by Wohlers Associates.The seat counts include educational licenses.
See the whole press release at: http://www.tenlinks.com/NEWS/PR/WOHLERS/062504_5mil.htm .
: According to a recent press release hosted on TenLinks.com, Pro/ENGINEER has : the most seats worldwide while SolidWorks is 6th. This is from a MCAD study : done by Wohlers Associates.The seat counts include educational licenses. : : See the whole press release at: : http://www.tenlinks.com/NEWS/PR/WOHLERS/062504_5mil.htm . : : Just off hand, I'd have to be skeptical of a study that put Inventor ahead of SolidWorks in the number of seats, even if you included educational licenses. Or, that UG is still second. Sure would be nice to know how they did the study, but I guess you've got to spend the $425 to find out.
David Janes

of
licenses. Or,

study, but I

A couple of years ago Autodesk bundled Inventor with MDT and gave it to all "subscription" contract holders as the Autodesk Inventor Series. Nobody in heaven or on earth knows how many seats are in full time use. What I found interesting was that MDT still ranks ahead of Inventor. Who knows......
Now then, was that really posted by Ten Links' editor? I don't think so.
: : A couple of years ago Autodesk bundled Inventor with MDT and gave it to all : "subscription" contract holders as the Autodesk Inventor Series. Nobody in : heaven or on earth knows how many seats are in full time use. What I found : interesting was that MDT still ranks ahead of Inventor. Who knows...... : Knowing Autodesk, that's kinda what I figured. But I'm sure, just from the number of jobs available, that Inventor is way behind SW in actual, professional design use.
: Now then, was that really posted by Ten Links' editor? I don't think so. : Good question, why don't I ask Mr. Tara Roopinder himself. Or maybe just someone on the staff and see if they get back to me. If they do, and they don't post it here, I'll pass it along. In any case, stroking us with a study saying WE'RE NO. 1!!!! is probably good advertizing. I wouldn't be surprised to find it turning up on Proe Central or Engineering Tips forums.
David Janes
Monster.com:
Solidworks 585 positions Inventor 99 Pro-E 436 Mechanical Desktop 134
Tenlinks.... coo-coo
Bill
wrote

all
in
found
number
design
so.
someone
post it

WE'RE NO.

turning up

wrote : > : : > : A couple of years ago Autodesk bundled Inventor with MDT and gave it to : all : > : "subscription" contract holders as the Autodesk Inventor Series. Nobody : in : > : heaven or on earth knows how many seats are in full time use. What I : found : > : interesting was that MDT still ranks ahead of Inventor. Who knows...... : > : : > Knowing Autodesk, that's kinda what I figured. But I'm sure, just from the : number : > of jobs available, that Inventor is way behind SW in actual, professional : design : > use. : > : > : Now then, was that really posted by Ten Links' editor? I don't think : so. : > : : > Good question, why don't I ask Mr. Tara Roopinder himself. Or maybe just : someone : > on the staff and see if they get back to me. If they do, and they don't : post it : > here, I'll pass it along. In any case, stroking us with a study saying : WE'RE NO. : > 1!!!! is probably good advertizing. I wouldn't be surprised to find it : turning up : > on Proe Central or Engineering Tips forums. : > : > David Janes : > : > : :
Bill Coleman wrote:

----------------------------------- Careerbuilder for the last 30 days:
    Pro/E 283 (several different searches, very consistent results)     SolidWorks 221 (NOT including some unique results for "solid works")     Catia 176     Unigraphics 103     Inventor 59 (including irrelevant results for inventors AND results for trainers which also included SolidWorks and other CAD software trainers)     Mechanical Desktop 23 (including 3 unique engineering results for MDT)     Solid Edge 25 (including results for "solidedge")
No doubt the number of licenses/seats reported by Wohlers is accurate, as far as available data can confirm. No doubt also that results of open jobs in the last 30 days doesn't tell the whole story either . . . there could be any number of variables involved, including just raw chance. But combined with Monster's results and knowing something about AutoDesk's bundling practices and educational licensing policies one can say FOR PRETTY CERTAIN that it's LAUGHABLE to think that Inventor and/or Mechanical Desktop (even together) are in greater actual use in the USA than is SolidWorks. AutoDesk's practices have basically "dumped" licenses on the US market, and anybody who can't see that is an idiot or just likes to kid themselves.
'Sporky'
: AutoDesk's practices have basically "dumped" : licenses on the US market, and anybody who can't see that is an idiot or : just likes to kid themselves. : : Seems like they are in the business of kidding the RP people. They're the ones the study is aimed at and the ones who use the figures for making decisions on capital expansion. 'Oh, yeah, guys, go out and buy that half million dollar Super SLA machine. Look at these numbers, there's a ton of work in the pipeline, judging by this jump in solid modelling licenses [points to chart with spike on it]. No, no, those machines won't be sitting idle for months at a time, sucking the life out of your bottom line. We're absolutely, positively almost certain of that, judging by the numbers.' Everyone loves optimistic predictions and when they don't come true, who remembers the ones that made big bucks selling you on the "next big thing".
On the validity of the job figures for judging installed base, consider a couple things. First, the numbers (50, 100, 300, whatever) represent a very, very small portion of licenses in use, like .02%. Even a small fluctuation in something like retention rate (job hopping, layoffs) can dramatically change the numbers, easily doubling or halving them. Second, comparing the numbers of jobs available assumes that one seat of brand x is the same as a seat of brand y. But what if licenses among SolidWorks users (or Inventor or Alibre) were mostly by individuals; what if the vast majority of Pro/e users worked for companies like Caterpillar with 3000 licenses. Which of these is going to turn up on Monster? Not the oneseys and twoseys. They don't show up on Monster or in the unemployment figures either. It also effects what proportion of licenses have been handed to agencies where the highest turnover is and where the bulk of jobs appearing on Monster, Yahoo Jobs, Net-temps come from. So, the numbers are probably skewed, but not in a way that favors Inventor over SW. They're probably skewed in a way that makes Pro/e look like it's more than it is.
DJ
This is a good point David... I believe that it is the single operators or small design firms that go with the newer software and suspect that SW base is with these people. The big firms are often slow to move because of legacy, cost and inertia.
But what if licenses

what if

with 3000

and
Monster also had 633 items pertaining to Solid Edge (and solidedge).
Ken
wrote

Nobody
knows......
the
professional
"news.iowatelecom.net" wrote:

If you do a search for Solid Edge you're going to get a WHOLE lot of irrelevant results. You have to do a search for "Solid Edge" including the quotation marks. Do it THAT way and you get 49 results.
Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC www.h2omarkdesign.com
This discussion, for the most part, is irrelevant. The fact that PTC has been selling Pro/E for the past 20 years accounts for it's large footprint. And, company management style can account for what software is picked, and also employee retention. Those that take the easy way out and don't actually investigate the software they are going to use (Inventor customers who were given the software or Pro/E users who had bosses to stupid to pick the worlds best CAD app, so it was sold to their bosses as such (typical Pro/E sales tactics)), probably have a short field of vision and thus have a high turnover rate (do to erratic business due to shortsighted business plans) as opposed to those that really do their homework and choose the best CAD system for the job (and develop far more stable business plans).
I would like to see numbers on 3D CAD software displacements such as X number of Pro/E seats were replaced by System Z.
Ken

The suspense is killing me. 8~)
===============
: > .......had bosses to stupid to pick the worlds best CAD app, ..... : : The suspense is killing me. 8~) : Me too! I just hope I'm surprised, like a design package from China that nobody outside the country's ever heard of and that didn't even make it to Wohler's list.
CAD is a tool to help you get your job done, the # of people using it doesn't really matter unless you interact with some of those people on a frequent basis. Most engineers I know don't like sharing their pencil let alone their CAD data. So why not just go with the CAD tool that works best for you and not worry about the popularity.
Sure you may need to get a job where your specific CAD skills help but how often is that. Also, I've learned 4 solid modelers and it get's easier each time, not to mention most employers appreachate my knowledge of more then one system.
Do you ask which hammer is the best seller? I didn't think so...
IronDude
Interesting points, but.....

Eastwing. (A dated opinion.) If you'd ever swung one all day, day in and day out you'd know that a hammer is not a hammer is not a hammer. It takes a lot longer to eval CAD software than a hammer (but you're right; each one comes easier), so we rely on things like popularity, published "expert" (guy away from his hometown carrying a briefcase) opinion, etc. to help narrow down the field a bit. It's also why so much money goes into marketing.
Analogy to buying a car would be more appropriate. Trade rags, expert opinions, consumer reports, popularity.....
Sharing data is a big concern which is why there are $20K+ applications on the market that will translate features and history.
8~)

it's estwing, and yes, they are still the best. :)
Bigjobs

Ack! Thanks for the correction.

Yes but I'd be willing to bet to my limit that the $5 Chinese Harbor Freight hammer sells more units. Heck I might be going back for my second or third one soon. :)
Doug T
Bigjobs wrote:

: Yes but I'd be willing to bet to my limit that the $5 Chinese Harbor : Freight hammer sells more units. Heck I might be going back for my : second or third one soon. :) : People bought the Sony Walkman 30 years ago. The company is still around and known for pretty good quality stuff. But, the original Sony products were cheap junk. The company survived and the products got better. If the Chinese companies do the same, 20 years from now, they too will be well regarded. Especially with an economy that's growing 6-8% a year and sucking up capital investment like crazy.
BTW, I gave up on Harbor Freight when that hammer turned out to have a cast iron (maybe, cast something anyway) head and broke the first time I wacked a nail with it. Who knows, by now; Estwing may have started the same way. Anyway, who uses hammers when you've got nail guns!!!!!!!!!!
David Janes