Gears

Can anybody reccomend a gear supplier for small standard gears (metal,
not plastic). I've been through the selection at RS, and if all else
fails could probably make do with something from there, but they
aren't ideal. They are for use on small IC engines, the plans for
which are mostly from the US where they seem to have many suppliers
for these things. I've looked at some of thier web sites and the
selection is pretty good, but I'm not realistically going to ship odd
gears from there (and I don't supose they would be too keen to bother
for such a small order either). I only want to buy odd gears, maybe a
couple at a time, so most industrial suppliers aren't going to be any
good. Any suggestions?
Regards
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Steele
?
Reply to
Gary Cavie
HPC Gears do a nice little catalogue, pocket-diary sized but 3/4" thick. although ISTR that their gears are fairly expensive at several pounds for a 20-toother.
Also ISTR that you can't get every size - some of the prime numbers above 30 teeth are not available.
The other approach, and much more respectable for a _REAL_ engineer is to cut them yourself.
Reply to
Airy R. Bean
Yes, I have requested a catalogue -but they don't have any details or prices online
Reply to
Kevin Steele
Wot? You mean start up the lathe and mill the buggers from blanks?
You take us for injunears or summat?
Reply to
Michael Fudge
There's been quite a lot published over the last 5 years, including info on making your own cutters, (although it's not obvious to me just from the drawings alone how the "Eureka" form tool does its job of relieving cutters.)
("Last year I couldn't spell, "Engineer", and now I are one" - NVQ Holder?)
Reply to
Airy R. Bean
Few things seem to be obvious to you Gareth. Next you will be claiming everyone else is wrong and invent your own methods.
Maybe you could patent the idea and we could buy shares in your company.
Reply to
Nimrod
So, at last you have a qualification. A NVQ. Well done Gareth.
Reply to
Nimrod
Kevin,
Another supplier is S.H.Muffett
They are quite happy to deal in one off quantities and they respond quickly to their email. I've bought from them on one or two occasions and they are good to deal with, even exchanging a gear at no additional cost when I had ordered the wrong size.
I've also dealt with HPC mentioned by others, and they were also excellent to deal with for small one-off lots. It's worth waiting on their catalogue if you are ordering it - it's over 800 pages and packed with detail, so you might understand why they don't have all that data on the web :-)
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
Thanks Jim,
I'll drop them an email tomorow. They don't have exactly the gears I wanted, but they have closer ones than RS did.
Regards
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Steele
Kevin,
Not all of Muffett's catalogue appears to be online - at least their online PDF files don't cover everything in my copy of their catalogue which I got a year or two ago - e.g. no cross helical gears. Or maybe they have cut down their product list.
HPC have a much greater product range, so maybe wait on getting their catalogue.
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
I have used a firm in Hertford - Huco Ltd.

They have always been well priced and quick to supply. They are a UK branch of a German company that originally (and still does) supply "spares" for newspaper print machines.
They do timing gears, belts, sprockets, chains etc. etc.
No connection except as a satisfied customer.
Cheers
Peter
Kev> Can anybody reccomend a gear supplier for small standard gears (metal,
Reply to
Peter Sheppard
NVQ for the YTS
Not Very Quick for the Young Thick & Stupid.
Reply to
RT
YTS = Youth Termination Scheme
Reply to
deBaser
Kevin, try HPC gears at
charles
Reply to
Charles A Ashcroft
My HPC catalogue arrived the other day, which has every gear I could ever want. You could spend a fortune there without any trouble though!
Regards
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Steele