Peco Streamline points

Can anyone assist me with the geometry of the Peco Small Radius Electrofrog point (00), that is, how does it compare to the set-track point? I'm building a staging area and the space available for the pointwork is a little tight.

Cheers

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Electrofrog

Totally different. The setrack point is notionally of 2nd radius (approx

17½") whereas the small radius streamline point has a notional radius of 24". The crossing angle is totally different.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Chris, If you have such a tight space see if you can fit in an arrangement using the Y points, they will usually allow a fan to go in the same space as the small radius but with a much more gentle radius and smoother operation. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I wish ... I've been playing for most of the day (weekend!) trying to get a working arrangement.

The problem is the shape 9' x 3', however at one end the board narrows from a point approx 2.5' from the end from full width to 1' and needless to say the feed to the staging area is at this narrow end. To complicate this slightly a twin through track has to be accommodated in order to complete a loop and just to complicate it yet further the whole staging area will be underneath part of the layout ... confused?

Here's a couple of pics ...

As access will be so tight I want the staging area to be as reliable as possible hence my desire to use electofrog pointwork ... oh and I'm trying to fit in 12 to 14 storage roads (which I can do using set-track point work ... which I don't really want) ... I'll get there eventually.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Reply to
Greg Procter

I would avoid Peco set track in most cases simply because the sharper curves means less models will make it through them without derailment. Peco set track also uses coarser flangeways and a smaller check gauge than other Peco turnouts. Set track was designed for use with coarse Hornby wheels, which makes Peco set track incompatible with most modern RTR models including the latest Hornby models.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

"Terry Flynn" wrote

I've just checked and there is no significant difference in geometry or flange clearance between Peco and Hornby set track, so if what you are suggesting is true then Hornby's latest models are not suitable for Hornby set track either.

The reality is of course slightly different, whilst clearances are far too sloppy on both Hornby and Peco set track for scale appearance, many people with limited space would not have the option for a model railway (or trainset) without set track's associated tight curves and sloppy flangeways. I know any number of people who achieve satisfactory operation using both set track and the very latest models from both Hornby and Bachmann.

Having said that I would agree that it's desirable to avoid sharp curves which do not offer the best running qualities and certain do not in any way mimic prototype practice.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Because of very limited space, I have used Hornby curved points. They are not compatible with the latest Hornby equipment - I had to shim the checkrails to avoid my new Black Five hitting the vee nose. I also had to adjust the wheel back-to-back on my older Hornby steam locos.

I also shim up the crossing flangeways so the rolling stock wheels don't drop into the gap - the Peco ST and SL more so than the Hornby.

Reply to
MartinS