Peco Streamline geometry

I know that the standard Streamline track spacing is achieved by joining the diverging tracks of two points of the same hand together.

I had assumed that the same spacing would also be achieved if the toe of a left-hand point was connected directly to the diverging track of a right-hand point. I thought I would then get two parallel tracks, one from the 'straight on' track of the right-hand point and one from the diverging track of the left-hand point, if you see what I mean. This would seem to be the logical way to make a fan of sidings at the standard spacing.

However, when I try this I get a much closer track spacing than the standard. I know this method produces the desired effect with Setrack points but of course the spacing is much wider.

Am I doing something really stupid (it wouldn't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last!) and if not, can anyone advise on what I should be doing?

Thanks

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

If you've got a much closer track spacing than normal, then add a 'cut to length' piece of straight track between the turnouts. (note down the length required to achieve the spacing you want so you can do it again in the future!) Without trying your layout I'd have thought you would have a wider than normal spacing. The Peco turnouts are designed to look more like the prototype than Setrack components. (the actual prototype they are modelled on is in question :-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

To get it to work I need to add a straight section that is ~40mm long. Unfortunately my plan and my baseboard size did not allow for this extra length :-(

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

Are you talking "standard Peco track spacing", or "standard prototype track spacing?" If the former, don't sweat it, so long as the wagons and carriages don't sideswipe each other. If the latter, you have a problem, for which Greg has offered a solution, but you may have to do without one track in order to fit your yard onto your baseboard.

FWIW, centre to centre spacing of parallel tracks in yards (a "fan of sidings") ranges from a minimum of around 12 to 13ft on up. Or about

50mm in OO on up.
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

That closer spacing is generally more realistic anyway, the 'standard' is overscale, so just stick with it. Problem only arises if you need a crossover between the same two tracks, in this case you can cut down the connecting tracks of the two pints forming the crossover to give the same spacing. Keith

Reply to
Keith

I assume you're playing with 24 inch radius Peco turnouts. OK, take Setrack turnouts and shorten the curved track by a little to get the spacing you need. They will need to be cut reasonably accurately/consistantly but after you destroy one you'll get every following one perfect. Only do this with a Dremel carbide disk or Xuron rail cutter.

I shorten the 24" radius Peco turnots to achieve 42mm spacing on my layout.

Don't forget that goods wagon storage tracks are spaced very closely, probably 40mm would be about right. Unloading tracks are spaced much wider, sufficient for a truck to swing and back up to goods van doors.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Standard spacing for double track main lines in the UK has been 11 ft

3 in pretty consistently, (45 mm in 00, 39 in H0) and yard tracks in pairs usually the same but could be a bit tighter. Spacing to the next pair needed to allow walking room at least so was usually more. 15 ft being fairly average. For a goods yard rather than a marshalling yard space between pairs of sidings needed to allow road access and would be much more. Keith
Reply to
Keith