Peco points and Triang-Hornby locos

I'm about to build a OO layout (in a very confined space) after a gap of nearly 20 years. I kept all my old locos and want to run them on the new layout. The oldest are Triang-Hornby from the mid 70's, diesel dock shunter/DMU etc.. I've heard that current code 100 Peco points are finer scale than they were 15-20 years ago. Is this the case and if so will my mid 70's stock still go through them; or do I have to go round looking for old second hand points? It maybe that Hornby points are less finescale, but I don't think they're up to Peco standards and there's less choice. I'm not planning to get much modern stock as a lot of it apparently won't go round 1st and 2nd radius curves and space is very limited. Any advice/information appreciated.

Reply to
Gerald H

"Gerald H" wrote

Buy a point and a couple of pieces of track and try your stock on it.

There's no need to have a continuous run layout, consider 'end-to-end' or 'terminus to fiddleyard' options. Peco produce some excellent booklets on track layouts, including one for 'small spaces'.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hi,

My old Hornby/Triang Hymek and Dock Shunter go through the points, no problem. The 0-4-0 shunter stops on the Insulfrog part, but it used to do that on 1973 Hornby points, ISTR. The trick is high speed ....

For inspiration on track in small spaces, look at

. A wealth of information and ideas there.

Cheers, Martyn

Reply to
M Roberts

Someone on RMWeb has replaced the frog of a set track point with an electro frog version.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

If they are from the "mid-70's" they cannot be "Triang-Hornby". The Triang company was liquidated in 1971 and the name "Hornby" sold to Dunbee-Combex-Marx in 1972.

Also, Triang Super-4 track was code 140 not code 100.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

My Jinty, DMU, class 31 diesel, dating from in 1 case 1962 run fine on the Peco starter track pack, (keeps my daughter happy)

guy

Reply to
guy