New Hornby 2007 catalogue

New Hornby catalogue now available at long last.

Reply to
John Turner

Is the Bachmann catalogue available?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Well seeing that they haven't (officially) released their 2007 information, I very much doubt it...

Reply to
:Jerry:

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

(officially) released their 2007

Just wondered why the "at long last comment" was warrented then in that case except of course it is a chance to have a dig at Hornby.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote

Because it is late in being released. I believe it was due a little under fortnight ago.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

late in being released. I believe it was due a little under

Just a couple of weeks late and still ahead of the Bachmann announcement then.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"John Turner" wrote

The story I heard was that the catalogue was ready in time but that the (Belgian) printers made a real pigs orphan of the price list which has taken a couple of weeks to reprint.

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

"Elliott Cowton" wrote

Perhaps they forgot to print "Items new for 2007" in red, as stated at the top of the page. The downloadable pdf file at

has them all shown in black.

Dave W

Reply to
David Westerman

"Kevin" wrote

Bachmann's announcement was made today, on the day it was promised.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Elliott Cowton" wrote

So why don't they print locally?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote So why don't they print locally?

John.

Why don't they produce locally ?? Same reason I suspect, daft, but probably true!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"John Turner" wrote

The Fareham Club has just temporarily lost 2 members (electricians) who live in Fareham but are currently working night shifts on the refurb of a shopping centre somewhere in the eastern half of Essex... And they are commuting daily "in works time". Their time on task each night runs out at somewhere near 4 1/2 or 5 hours and the rest of their working day is spent travelling.

Quite how this can be cheaper than employing a contracting electrician from the north east side of London to do the work is beyond me.

You will probably find that the same logic drives Hornby's decision to get he printing done in Belgium, but as they have just found out to their cost: "You pay peanuts, you get the job done by monkeys"

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

I can't believe it's cheaper to produce in Belgium than in the UK.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

I can't believe it's cheaper to produce in Belgium than in the UK.

John.

I'm not saying it is, but that may be Hornby's thinking ??

Although, I do wonder when I look at printing costs in the UK and then see some of the books printed, one being South Africa of all places, so provided they have the equipment and the exhange rate etc is lower, it may well be cheaper overseas.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

I guess it just shows a different philosophy on supporting local businesses to that employed by Peco. The latter (as I've reported on here before) insist on buying postage stamps from their local Post Office rather than using a franking machine, in the belief that the extra turnover will help in retaining their local postal facility.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Good for them.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Hornby could be thinking of saving money for customers by passing on the cheaper costs of printing by reducing the price.

Cheers, Simon (Hurray for hornby, where would we be without them - note thats rhetorical)

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Except their more likely to think in terms of increased profit for shareholders rather than reduced prices. Simple comparison between similar items in the Hornby and Bachmann ranges seem to suggest that Hornby charge up to 20% more for a similar item.

You should also remember that Hornby shifted production to China to secure lower production costs. Did that result in lower retail prices?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But they knocked 50p off the price of the catalog compared to last year.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

More likely because people didn't buy the 2006 catalogue in sufficient numbers.

Check the cost of Hornby's catalogue over the past five years and see how the cost has shifted in relation to the retail prices index.

John.

Reply to
John Turner