Loco featured on the Hornby 1975 Catalogue

Hi again all

Have just been asked what the loco was that was featured on the LHS of the

1975 Hornby Catalogue. I know it but can't recall.

here is the link

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

apparently it's an Adler - anyone know if it was produced in OO anywhere?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

No, but I *think* Märklin produced an HO-scale version.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I can certainly recall an "Adler" back in my youth (!) and it was made on the Continent - I have a feeling it was by Trix Express rather than Marklin, but may be wrong.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

"David Costigan" wrote

You may well be right David, but as Trix are now owned by Märklin, it's possible the model has been produced by both, although I can't say this with any degree of conviction.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I remember an "Adler" on my Dad's layout. That was two-rail, so presumably made by Trix. I also remember the 3.8mm/foot Westerns, Warships and Mk1 kits!

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Strangely I came across this on a Swiss site this evening!

Nigel Emery

In Trix 'New Items' catalogue for 2001 there is shown an HO model of the 'Adler', tender drive, with three coaches. This set was apparently to be available in the last quarter of 2001, to Marklin Profi-Club members, whoever they are. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

No, it isn't. It even says what it is on the catalogue. It states "Brighton Railway "Jenny Lind" - 1847"

It is a 2-2-2 built for the London Brighton & South Coast Railway. No expert in these matters but here two links for you.

This looks like the one on the catalogue.

The only comment I will add is that David Joy invented the Joy valve gear, which was very common on many railways.

None of this really explains what it is doing on a Hornby catalogue. Yes

1975 was a 150 years since the Stockton & Darlington Railway opened, but why this loco?

There is/was a kit by 5&9 or something in 4mm but the link appears dead.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Trix made the Adler 1:64th scale on HO track. It was at various times produced in Trix DC thre rail, DC 2 rail and for the Maerklin system. Almost certainly the version sold by Hornby would be the two rail version. Trix sold the Hornby "Rocket" set in Germany in return.

The tieup came about through Trix manufacturing the MiniTrix British outline models for Hornby to market.

Maerklin has more recently (c1990) made a 1:80 scale Adler, but I think only in

3r AC version (Faulhaber DC motor with a AC-DC module or Digital module)
Reply to
Greg Procter

The 1960s Trix model was 1:64. The Ma model (c1990) was/is 1:80.

Reply to
Greg Procter