Retrofitting Small Layout with DCC

I have a small beginners layout (7' x 3') that I constructed back when DCC was out of my price range. Now that Bachmann have brought out the E-Z controllers I was wondering about retrofitting for DCC. However, an article I read a while back showed the DCC circuit routed as a separate wiring ring parallel to track - to reduce noise I believe.

On a small layout such as this, can I get away with making direct connections to one or more points on the loop or do I need this extra ring circuit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Wilson

On a small layout such as yours, I would even go so far as to say you could just replace the DC controller with the DCC one. If you didnt experience any problems with the DC setup you shouldnt with the DCC one.

Reply to
John Ruddy

I currently operate a 2-1/2 X 16 foot shunting yard/industrial layout that has a single DCC connection at one end. Works great.

Reply to
66class

"Steve Wilson" wrote

My 20' x 11' (must measure it exactly at some time) double track layout doesn't have a ring main, and I have no problem with electrical continuity or voltage drop.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I think you only need to consider this if you are planning to have a lot of trains moving at the same time. For 3 or 4 moving simultaneous it should not be a problem, although the E-Z controller might not be able to put enough current if the locos draw a lot of current.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" wrote

I don't think the Bachmann E-Z Command system is a viable option (other than for train sets) in its present form. Certainly I'd agree that more than a couple of locos pulling a worthwhile load would tax its meagre 1 amp capacity to the limit.

John.

Reply to
John Turner