New Hornby 2007 catalogue

In message , kim writes

Why would you disagree? Buying stamps at the local PO does indeed help that PO, whereas using a franking machine, or buying postage online, does not. Even better, bring parcels etc. to the PO, where labels, rather than stamps, will be used.

Thank you, kim :-)

Reply to
Graeme

"kim" wrote

I can imagine that doesn't just apply to Post Offices. My bank (HSBC) have recently closed our local branch on a very busy shopping street in Hull, along with three others, and relocated on the outskirts of the city about three miles away. I know dozens of local businesses who are now forced to make a six mile round trip by car on two or three days a week. This has been so welled planned that the new bank is situated in the middle of road works which are planned to last for 30 weeks. That six mile round trip can take an hour - imagine the total cost to the local business community, as well as the additional pollution those joruneys generate.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

And I always wondered why the banks weren't out of town with their own parking area instead in the middle where you couldn't park anywhere near

Josh

Reply to
Josh Haigh

"Josh Haigh" wrote

We could WALK to the bank previously and didn't need to use or park a car, but the local branch they closed HAD a car park anyway.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

My interest in railway and model railways exists purely as a result on the first train set my Dad bought me in the mid-1950s.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Of all those kids who received a "starter set" in the mid-1960's, what percentage do you think still have an interest in model railways today?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Mid- 1960's my arse! It were all plastic rubbish by then, not *proper* trains like we had in the 1950's. Where we lived, we had *heard* of people with plastic train sets, but of course we never associated with them. It would have been like discussing matters of cultural import with people who watched ITV.

Perhaps of more relevance to the issue at hand would be the inverse question:

Of all those who still have an interest in model railways today, what percentage do you think received a "starter set" as kids in the mid-1960's?

Cheers, Steve

,
Reply to
Steve W

I will hazard a guess that those kids who received a train set based on a real life prototype stuck with the hobby longer than those who were given something which was designed first and foremost to be used as a brightly coloured "toy" with little if any resemblance to the real thing.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Not just 'still have' for some who received a 'Princess Royal' set in

1960ish, they always wanted to get into it proper but had to wait for child to get an excuse. Feel sorry for them what suffer from girls, must be difficult to build a layout round 'my little pony'.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

All it takes is a match and a little imagine - then you can have "my little glue factory"

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Thats evil that is. Now every time the adverts on, I'm laughing, then get 'looks' from her ladyship who wouldnt appreciate the joke.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon