Hornby 2009 catalogue

I've recently purchased the new Hornby 2009 catalogue, should it include a current price list? I cann't find anywhere on Hornby's website where a price list can be downloaded.

Looking through the catalogue I had a chuckle when I came to p.46 to find Hornby selling "the last Single Wheeler - LMS DEAN single 4-2-2" :-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

"Alan Dawes" wrote

Hornby supply a price list with their catalogue - try asking the retailer from where you purchased the catalogue.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Which would either be Ivatt's or the Caledonian 123.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

It's the Dugald Drummond Caledonian 4-2-2 in LMS red livery numbered 14010 in a limited edition train pack with 3 ex Caledonian LMS coaches.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

Ivatt's were the last built, in 1911 AFAIR just before Gresley took over as Great Northern CME.

Caledonian 123 was the last in service.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

To be ultra-picky, it's the Neilson 4-2-2. They seem to have been responsible for the design, basing it on the Drummond 4-4-0s ordered by the Caledonian. Done as a private venture for (IIRC) the Edinburgh Exhibition, but definitely in the hope the Caledonian would buy it.

Pretty engine, though, and nice that the model is about again, even if it does lack the most recent refinements.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

: : Ivatt's were the last built, in 1911 AFAIR just before Gresley took : over as Great Northern CME. : : Caledonian 123 was the last in service. :

I think that you have missed the point about the *typo* error in the Hornby Catalogue, *DEAN* was a CME for the GWR, not the Caledonian!...

Reply to
Jerry

The last NER singles to be built were the Class J 4-2-2s, the last ones being built in December 1890. The final one to be withdrawn was

1522 in March 1921.

Class J, along with the similar Class I, had the dubious distinction of being the only T.W. Wordsell designs to be withdrawn during the lifetime of the NER.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

On 24/02/2009 12:44, Christopher A. Lee said,

AFAIR???? Just how old are you? :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Perhaps he remembers the bloke who wrote the words to "Maggie May".

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

On 24/02/2009 17:34, Jane Sullivan said,

I guess you're referring to the prolific writer who goes by the name of "Trad", rather than...

...actually, you could be referring to Rod Stewart :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

The message from Paul Boyd contains these words:

I always think of Rod Stewart as a pop singer, not a folk singer. Real folk singers have a finger in one ear, while the other hand cuddles a pint pot.

However, Fred Wedlock puts the contemporary/traditional thing rather well: "Contemporary folk songs are written by people who are alive at the time they write them. Traditional songs are a bit more difficult..."

Reply to
David Jackson

Also, IIRC, the first locomotives (certainly in UK) to break the 1000dbhp barrier on a sustained basis. Formidable machines (and so very elegant..).

A J would be nice. So would a Q1. But I'd settle for an M.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Here's a real folk singer:

Christopher A. Lee

While the Audience they are inflicting their droning on have fingers in both ears and wish that one hand was free to wield an axe.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The message from Christopher A. Lee contains these words:

KW could sometimes be quite amusing, but not often.

Reply to
David Jackson

Fred Wedlock's real name is Phil... but I knew his uncle Fred in Weston super Mare, not far from the WC&P

his grandfather "Tubby" Wedlock played football for England.

David

Reply to
chorleydnc

The message

from " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" contains these words:

Well now, there's a thing! I learn something new every day...

Getting back to Maggie May (still not really on topic, even though the song includes "Lime Street"), at one of their "Folk at the Phil" sessions The Spinners read out a letter they'd had from somebody in London who claimed to have written a musical about Maggie May, and telling them that they could no longer use Maggie May as their signature tune because he now held the copyright. I've no idea if they bothered to reply to the letter, but they sang Maggie May several times that night, and carried on singing it as normal afterwards.

Reply to
David Jackson

: : Getting back to Maggie May (still not really on topic, even though the : song includes "Lime Street"), at one of their "Folk at the Phil" : sessions The Spinners read out a letter they'd had from somebody in : London who claimed to have written a musical about Maggie May, and : telling them that they could no longer use Maggie May as their signature : tune because he now held the copyright. I've no idea if they bothered to : reply to the letter, but they sang Maggie May several times that night, : and carried on singing it as normal afterwards. :

I suspect the reply to the effect - "Get a s*dding clue about copyright law, tw*t!"

Reply to
Jerry

On 26/02/2009 13:45, David Jackson said,

'tis on topic! Rod Stewart is a model railway bod :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd