Hornby Catalogue

Call me Mister Picky,

but is not a class 31 classified as an A1A-A1A not CO-CO.

While I'm being picky though shouldn't the new 4472 Flying Scotsman be classified as an A3 not an A1.

Hope to pick up both however they describe them.

Moog

Reply to
moog

"moog" wrote

Hi Mister Picky

Absolutely, but maybe Hornby are planning it with six axle drive??? ;-)

Depends on the period being modelled. Flying Scotsman was a (Gresley) class A1 before being fitted with the higher pressure A3 boiler.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

By which time it had become 103 so 4472 as an A3 is only correct post BR.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

"Mike Parkes" wrote

So they are modelling it as preserved, I don't have a problem with that.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

My Hornby Flying Scotsman (bought second-hand without a box but in excellent condition) is an A1, with cabside crest and LNER/4472 on the GNR-type tender, as displayed at the British Empire Exhibition in 1924.

Reply to
MartinS

Except everywhere other than in the catalogue its described as an A1. Interesting to note that Ontracks now have the A3s as "Possibly 2005", the Grange as "Not being produced in 2004" and the Class 31 as "Possibly delayed until 2005".

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

Thanks for everyone who has put me straight. It's good to learn something new every day. Today has been a bit productive,

  1. Never try and be a smart a*se on Usenet
  2. A bit of research helps (5 minutes on Google would have prevented my foot entering my mouth)
  3. A1s were converted to A3s, the major change being the introduction of a higher pressure boiler.
  4. An A3 can be most easily be distinguished from an A1 by the square patches between the boiler and the smokebox ( see Photo's P46 and P47 in the Hornby Catalogue)
  5. The Flying Scotsman was upgraded to A3 post LNER therefore only ran as an A3 wearing 4472 in LNER green after preservation.

From squinting at P23 in the catalog it seems that the A1 Flying Scotsman in the R1039 "Track Pack System" (Train Set) is a different model than the A3 Flying Scotsman R2261 on page 46.

Is R383 on page 131 a Gesley A1?

moog

Reply to
moog

"moog" wrote

That's correct, the loco in the train set is basically the old pre-superdetailed model with heavier section valve gear. It's probably more robust and less easily damaged by kids.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Re: Flying Scotsman loco

This is a policy that Tri-Ang/Hornby have had for years - trainsets are clearly aimed at children, and the models in them have been kept as robust as possible. Super 4 track survived in train sets longer than anywhere else, as it is chunkier and easier to fit together than finer scale track. More recently, Hornby class 90 and 91 locos in train sets have had fixed, non-functional plastic pantographs fitted to them.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Osborne