South Central EMUs

Has any company ever made any of the South central region EMUs? Either the Cig (I think that's what they are - the slam door ones that are just now being phased out) types or ones such as the Class 357?

Reply to
Mark W

The closest you'll get nowadays in ready-to-run is the Hornby Class 466, as seen on South Eastern. Hornby Dublo and/or Tri-Ang made some not-particularly-great suburban EMUs in the dim and distant past, but everything else you'll need to kit-build. Much to my disgust - I'd kill for a CEP, CIG, VEP, HAP or Hampshire DEMU in ready-to-run. I'm sure the market for these must be at least as big as that for the 466.

Anyone fancy taking this on?!?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Osborne

Shame as they look so good. Some of the new South Western trains are cool also, but I particularly want a new RTR Gatwick express (the modified Juniper).

Reply to
Mark W

I've considering hammering together a Class 432 4-REP together out of Mk1s - I chose that Class simply because the conversion will be easy! CIGs and the like seem to have unusual narrow windows on either sides of some, if not all, doors that will be a pain to recreate in a conversion.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

Shame they stopped in the early 90s

Reply to
Mark W

Wish list:

All in current SC livery

205/0 DMU 319/2 377 421/4 421/7 423/2 455/8
Reply to
Mark W

Electra Railway Graphics will be producing a range of SouthCentral units in N Gauge this year, including the Class 455 and 377, as well as other "South of the River" favourites such as the Class 319 Thameslink and 365/465 Networker.

These will be easy to build kits using a resin body with pre-printed sides and windscreens. Power will be a 5-pole motor driving both bogies of a centre car.

DC OO modellers might want to consider changing scale this year :-)

Regards, Adam Warr Electra Railway Graphics Website:

Railway Photos:

Adam Warr

I might well do. Anyone know a good N gauge starter set?

Reply to
Mark W

I think you'll find that 357s are C2C, not South Central.

Reply to
David Biddulph

Damn it, Must be 37x then.

Reply to
Mark W

CEPs in their unrefurbished state will be quite easy, too - the centre vehicles were identical to loco-hauled CKs and SKs. The motor coaches are bit more of a challenge.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Osborne

In message , Adam Warr writes

Why? Are you also going to produce 42XX 2-8-0T and 72XX 2-8-2T models, then?

Reply to
John Sullivan

Farish do some good starter sets ffrom £50-£150, ranging from an 0-6-0T and three wagons to a Res47 and 3 GUVs or Duchess Passenger set.

No third rail, though!

Reply to
Adam Warr

I thought he meant DC as in third rail.

Reply to
Mark W

Bugger.

Reply to
Mark W

Not sure they would fit our new chassis, John. Perhaps next year...

Reply to
Adam Warr

In OO gauge the only rtr EMU is Hornby's very nice but underpowered (i.e. don't run it up a gradient steeper than a sheet of paper) Class 466.

DC Kits and a couple of others have promised kits for classes 421 and 423.

Someone used to produced etched sides and cast ends for classes 421 and 423 which you overlaid on Lima Mk 1 coaches.

DC Kits do produce a nice reasonably priced kit for the Class 205 DEMU (also the Clas 419 MLV and Class 415 and 416 EPB units)

Class 170 is covered by the Bachmann RTR model but no South Central liveried one available (yet - here's hoping!)

As for class 377, I am considering a cut and shut job with new cab ends on a Bachmann 170 to produce a 3 car Class 375 (soon to become 377) and modified underframe details as the body sides and roof details are almost identical, just that 170's are longer so a few window bays would have to disappear.

You can also put together a old style Gatwick Express set with a Lima 73 and Mk 2 air con coaches plus a converted DC kits driving car if you so wished.

A company called Bratchell Models are currently producing a very nice kit for the Class 321 and 322 o/h units which uses practically the same bodyshell (with some minor adjustments) as Class 456 and with a further change of cab ends, a Class 319 and 455 in theory ought to be possible.

Hope This Helps!

Regards John M Upton

Reply to
jmu2000

Shame they were for Lima coaches as well.

I thought the 170 had slightly sloping sides though

Tried to get hold of one on Ebay. The bugger eventually went for £150 (someone really wanted that GatExp liveried 73)

Still too much chopping up ;). I think I need to go and bug some of the RTR manufacturers.

Reply to
Mark W