SR EMUs

Rumours:

Bachman will be doing an unrefubished 4-CEP Hornby will do a 4-CIG, not sure on if it refubished or not Replica will do a BR design 4-EPB.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Not heard this one before - would be nice to see the manufacturing 'big boys' finally take an interest in classic EMU's though!

I understand that Hornby still haven't definately decided to go ahead with this project yet although from trade rumours that a 4-CIG is the most likely option if they produce a 3rd rail EMU.

"will do" is the wrong phrase to use, "might do" would probably be a better phrase to use if the MLV project is successful. If the MLV sells in numbers then Replica may produce further 3rd rail EMU's and the 4-EPB is one option.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
Matt

What would help even more would be an equal interest by the manufacturers in producing AC overhead EMUs to satisfy the needs of those of us who model north of the Thames!!!

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

JS, Is the 4VEP much removed from a 4CEP?

Andy

"J Sullivan" wrote

Rumours:

Bachman will be doing an unrefubished 4-CEP JS

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

yes, quite different looking. The 4CIG would be and easy convert to a VEP, virtually identical visually. Take a look at

see CEP & VEP styles (even though 8001 is a VAB, it is the same style)

Reply to
unclewobbly

Of course, having any emu is a bonus it's just too bad that these choices are not suitbale for the majority of the late steam period.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

depends what region you model... all these were around pre '67 so if you model late SR steam, you can have all three.

Reply to
unclewobbly

!961?

Sadly not. :-(

I want Cors, Subs, Bils.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

God I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Going Brit Roger? I would love to see you build a UK layout based on your pictures of your current layout!! Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Well Rob, you never know, especially now as UK models are finally catching up to the standards that we in North America have expected over the past 20 years or so. In fact, they've only just caught up to what Athearn offered back in the 1970s. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Reply to
Rob Kemp

In message , John Lancaster writes

Don't forget, you've got to start somewhere. If the SR EMUs are successful, maybe they'll bring out some overhead models.

Weren't there some DC overhead models a bit further north of the Thames?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept. writes

Yes.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , Rob Kemp writes

Rob, please don't address me as God, I don't believe in her :-)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Roger T." wrote

Ooooh bitchy. Whilst there's an element of truth in what you say I'd suggest that the bodywork on the latest British outline model is far superior to the crude models churned out by Athearn in the 70s. The most recent mechanisms are much superior too.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

what guage do you model?

Reply to
unclewobbly

Yes - 1500v DC overhead, Manchester - Sheffield - Wath (loco hauled only), with (if I remember correctly) some suburban lines in Manchester area on same voltage, Manchester - Altrincham and Manchester - Dinting/Glossop. HTH David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

You can see why the RTR manufacturers pay zero attention to modellers. So far we have no models of *any* classic era EMU's, and immediately upon a rumour of an SR EMU, the conversation turns to what the companies are *not* making! Dinting and Glossop, indeed, whoever or whatever *they* are!

What has me rolling about is that slam door EMU's have been running around on the SR for the best part of 80 years, with one almighty heave the railways get rid of the whole lot, and *now* the makers think about producing a model (if the rumours are to be believed).

It beggars belief that Bachmann or Hornby don't just get on with a Wessex Electric, with a 3-car basic set and 2-car extension pack. I suppose they will wait another 20 years until they get scrapped.

However, judging by comments on the Hornby Networker and the Dapol Pendolino, it might be kinder for humanity in general if none of the makers actually made *any* EMU's, because they are only setting us up for future disappointment.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W